ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Choosing a console? Some great advice here....

Nippy white cup
True but it depends on how serious you are. When you have to pay 1k+ for a reasonable setup just so that you can play COD in a daft res then it has to be worth it to yourself. The games look great on the consoles, running fine and a decent enough res (especially considering most people are playing on much bigger screens) but they can never compete with a machine that has a gfx card costing more than the complete console

Chris

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
True but it depends on how serious you are. When you have to pay 1k+ for a reasonable setup just so that you can play COD in a daft res then it has to be worth it to yourself. The games look great on the consoles, running fine and a decent enough res (especially considering most people are playing on much bigger screens) but they can never compete with a machine that has a gfx card costing more than the complete console

Chris

Very true that m8. I love the absurdity of cutting edge PC games that demand and sometimes even surpass the current hardware out there. Like Crysis on its release in 2007 - it just killed pretty much any PC out there when whacked to the max on settings. Now I can run it with all the eye-candy on and it does look pretty much amazing to me - and probably goes into some way of justifying to myself the expense that I've forked out for it!

The thing is - PCs push the envelope - the developers want to see just how far they can go - knowing full well that PC players out there will pay £600+ on a top flight graphics card to cope with it. It its elitist. It is throwing away good money in a lot of respects, but the option is there at least for people to choose that. If Crysis performed as badly on a console as it did on the majority of PCs on release, there would have been absolute uproar and probably a hit-squad sent after the developers. As a result, any game released on them has to be 'comfortable' on their current gen hardware. That in a nutshell is the only issue I have with the dominance of the console market - in terms of game development. In so much as the games need to be released cross-platform these days, it's usually the PC players that are left in third position and 'make do' with the limitations of what the console runs at. Or worse, the game is left virtually unplayable as it has been engineered with a gamepad in mind and without a whiff of keyboard and mouse in sight.

That said, I do like the cross-platform opportunities - and who knows, all three of the big players in the games console market may one day allow cross-platform online matches for every title. The fact that I can go into the Bad Company 2 thread on here, make a comment and both 360 and PS3 players know what I'm on about, is really encouraging. I just wish they would release more advanced consoles a lot more often. Come on guys - you're holding us PC lot back! ;)

D.

Clio 1970000000
The guy wants to play FPS. Talk to anyone who plays online and they can tell who's playing on a PC and that's because a PC player doesn't miss. You're dead. End of.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'm happy with my consoles. At least I can be sociable then.

The whole 'gaming rig' thing just doesn't do anything for me. There's too many drawbacks, considering the difference over a console.

Plus, under Bootcamp, I can run PC games anyway on my iMac with most games maxed out.

F82 M4

The whole 'gaming rig' thing just doesn't do anything for me. There's too many drawbacks, considering the difference over a console.

Plus, under Bootcamp, I can run PC games anyway on my iMac with most games maxed out.

You've clearly never played a PC online competitively, in tournaments etc. I'm a geek though, loved Lans :cool:

Played in CS leagues for years and years. Won the odd bit of cash aswell, and we once won a dustworld server for CS. If you've ever gamed competitively, you'll understand why the PC's are so superior. The majority of people on this forum have never gamed properly imo.

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS

say wut! Bad Company 2 with skype conference call between 4 mates is a better way to play than any other. Poo you.

A red missile
say wut! Bad Company 2 with skype conference call between 4 mates is a better way to play than any other. Poo you.

24 people in a raid using ventrilo is how I roll, 50hrs a week average over 3 years 8 months = no life, wonder why my 05 car has only done 36k ;)

yes I'm sad, I accepted this a long time ago.

Consoles? I s**t em.

Sounds like an identical experience to console gaming, without the big HDTV. ;)

PMSL at big HDTV. I love it when this comes up, mainly because it's b****cks. Playing games 10ft away in 720p is not the same as playing 10" away in any resolution you can afford, with huge AA&AF that a console can't even do, let alone hold a decent frame rate or avoid tearing the screen in half every time you move. I am a PC and console gamer, but I'm under no illusions - the old 'big screen' argument is a stack of old s**t. Especially when nearly all your games are 720p and run at 30fps max. Peering into a game in proper high resolution, with every graphical tweak enabled, lays the smack down on any big TV experience with torn frames and jagged edges. You'd need a MASSIVE TV to compete with a big PC monitor sat in front of your face, before we even get started on the better visuals and far better frame rates. Oh and don't even get me started on playing shooters with rubber sticks.

Consoles have their place. They're cheap as chips and are much better for playing games with mates. However, ask any shooter. Any real shooter...

You can use a big HD screen Chris, infact they produce better resolutions. Up to 1200p instead of consoles that will only output to 1080p.

Monaro VXR
Not like it makes any difference anyway...could you imagine an iMac trying to game at its native res with a mobility based and underclocked 5850 GPU?

Imagine crysis on it? I doubt it would be multiple FPS during fights as opposed to SPF.

Last edited:

Skype? Why no TS/vent?

PC > Consoles on most factors but i do have to say that i've had a 360 for a few months now and am loving it. FPS is, of course, crap on console compared to PC.

Cupra
I got my old N64 out the other night. It was very disappointing on the big screen. :(

PC all the way for me.. until junior gets old enough to make use of whatever gen console is out.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
This thread has proved lols!

Do the PC gamers play with a pad? I know some do, i'm guessing hardcore play with keyboards+mouse?

I got my old N64 out the other night. It was very disappointing on the big screen. :(

I remember the days playing 4 player Goldeneye on a little 14" screen. Now play Fifa on much bigger screens and still sit on the edge of the sofa to get closer! Lol.

Evo 5 RS
This thread has proved lols!

Do the PC gamers play with a pad? I know some do, i'm guessing hardcore play with keyboards+mouse?

Depends on the game geeza. Got Dead Rising 2 off steam awhile back, you'd have to be a mug to play that with keyboard and mouse

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I remember the days playing 4 player Goldeneye on a little 14" screen. Now play Fifa on much bigger screens and still sit on the edge of the sofa to get closer! Lol.
Mario Kart aswell. Think my mate's might have been a 28" in his mum's living room, that's when we were allowed in to play. :eek:

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Not like it makes any difference anyway...could you imagine an iMac trying to game at its native res with a mobility based and underclocked 5850 GPU?

Imagine crysis on it? I doubt it would be multiple FPS during fights as opposed to SPF.

Mine 27" i7 runs this...

ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

No idea whether that's good or not. The most it's ever been tested is on GTAIV. lol. It ran that, maxed out, at 50-60 FPS. It did get hot though.

I'm guessing Crysis would bum it. But then, it's not a games machine; that's why I have my consoles.

2014 Focus Titanium
Two types of people in this thread:

a) "Gamers" who have blatantly only ventured into online game since the consoles could support it and;
b) Proper gamers who have experienced gaming at its best and probably started online gaming in the days of 56k.

Consoles will just never give as good-a experience as PC gaming because of the hardware limitations and lack of customisation. Having said that, consoles are still very entertaining, very easy to set up and play, and you can have Console LANs too (me and my mates do this).

If I had to choose one it would be the PC just because you can't beat the raw gaming on them, but I still use my 360 all the time.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Most console gamers, myself included, know that PC gaming is where it's at if you want to best-looking games. Also that a keyboard and mouse gives you far more control for FPS'.

But IMO, playing the huge range of 360 games with mates that have the same system, reasonably cheaply and with a decent setup, is better. Our online lobbies on Forza 3 are brilliant, for example. Same with CoD games.

It'll be different for others who have mates with gaming rigs, but I don't. It's not really something I'd hop onto for half an hour, like I would a console either.

2014 Focus Titanium
Most console gamers, myself included, know that PC gaming is where it's at if you want to best-looking games. Also that a keyboard and mouse gives you far more control for FPS'.

But IMO, playing the huge range of 360 games with mates that have the same system, reasonably cheaply and with a decent setup, is better. Our online lobbies on Forza 3 are brilliant, for example. Same with CoD games.

It'll be different for others who have mates with gaming rigs, but I don't. It's not really something I'd hop onto for half an hour, like I would a console either.

I pretty much agree with all of that, especially the bold bit.