ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CIFS/SMB Max File Size

Hi,

i'm about to split my raid setup out of my desktop into a dedicated machine, using freenas/naslite or similar linux based utilities.

Question tho;

i've heard mention of these protocols limiting the maximum file that can be transferred (maybe to about 2 or 4Gb) so i just want to know if thats really the case?

Obviously if it is it kinda puts paid to being able to store ISOs etc.

Thanks in advance!

Megane 230 R26
If it's using 32-bit file sizes then you are indeed limited to 4Gb. If it's using 64-bit then you'll be fine.

What specific platform is the server running, and what platform(s) do you anticipate the clients will run?

im currently running an old proliant server with freenas on it, with a raid array of 16 drives.....about 800gbs worth..... its running hardware raid, an adaptec card, as all the drives are scsi...... biggest ive had was a 3gb iso and it was fine.....but as noodle said the limit of 4gb is there on 32bit systems.....

freenas seems to be pretty stable anyhow...pleased with it so far....i used to run a fully custom debian setup, but started a fresh and couldnt be bothered doing it all again, so freenas was up and running in 20 mins

Older versions of Samba definetly went bang at 2GB.. not sure if it's still the case though?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
just include "-o lfs" when mounting the share.

lfs = Large File Support.

just include "-o lfs" when mounting the share.

lfs = Large File Support.

Try doing that from a Windows machine ;)

As I say, it could be old.. I'm sure I read somewhere patches etc to get around it.. I'm talking a few years now too :rasp:

Well it was primarily going to be an EPIA running freenas (which i think is freebsd at heart) or naslite and then my windows machines would connect via CIFS/SMB.

TBH i did more digging and the 4gb limit seemed to be a bit of a stumbling block so i've plunked for windows home server instead (which i might add seems a nice solution for my files/photos etc)

Thanks though :)

Megane 230 R26
TBH i did more digging and the 4gb limit seemed to be a bit of a stumbling block so i've plunked for windows home server instead (which i might add seems a nice solution for my files/photos etc)

I'm confused, I would consider the Windows Client to be the limiting factor not the Linux server... maybe I should have been clearer in my previous reply.

The newer versions of Samba etc can be configured to handle quite high file size limits, so you shouldn't really have a problem...

Thanks though :)

Np, any time ;)

Yes its the CIFS/SMB interface thats really the issue, not linux or windows themselves.

Rather a pity as i quite liked the idea of the free NAS distribuitions to solve my problem and, if i wasn't going to have to deal with isos, i would have gone for it.

Still, what can you do?

WHS will be something nice to play with once i get my mini itx rack case built up.

:)