ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Civic Type R opinion

Ford Focus 1.4 LX

Well i borrowed a mates Civic for a trip to Southport for the dance weekender last weekend and this is how it compared to my 172 mk2.

- Clutch - we all know the clutch in the 172 is poop, but the clutch in the Civic was very nice.

- Gearbox - the Civic has one of the best if not the best gearchange i have ever driven with. Different league to the Clio.

- Got more torque steer with the Civic (more power i guess) and it did nt seem to handle as well when i was chucking it about, maybe that was my confidence in the car as i was not used to it.

- Clios headlights are awesome

- Clio is more economical on motorway runs

All in all the Civic is a good car, but i prefer the Clio !!

Dave

agree.....the type R is imense......but the longer wheelbase and size dont help on the handling front.

But, i could be a more usefull all round car.......

and i would do anything for that motor!!!! HEHE....

he flywheel on it is so light in fact, that we had to ADD weight to it on the Super production racer!

Dave, the B&M quickshift changes the feel of the gearchange in the clio completely, short, acurate, direct - the dog b*ll*xs really (Its really weird how such a simple thing can make such a difference), Slugger has got the same, as for the clutch, I havent had any issues with mine, seems spot on, but then, aint tried the Civic one.

well, you can all rant on about it as much as you like - its still a PEOPLE CARRIER as far as I am concerned - and Id rather have a Zafira if I wanted that "shape" car!!! So there!!!!! :D

Druddle - hope all the plans are going well for the wedding, and that you got that photographer down a bit on price!!!

guy at my works got a type R and they are mean looking machines. They also happen to go like the wind.

Having driven my dads 2.0 accord and 1.6 civic for my first two years of driving, i cant help loving the honda engine. maybe try a 2.0 vtec transplant into my dynam....hehe:)

...gearbox...whats wrong with the clio one, not the most precise ever but not a problem....or does it get crunchy with age, mines only just past 1k...

has anyone had a drag or a proper race against a ctr on this site, i havent seen one on the road since i got my new toy, reckon theyre all in hiding, well that or theyre on a delivery from the bakery!

pugboy

When we went on the France trip we had a few runs against CTRs and it was pretty close. The CTR has a long 3rd gear which helps it in the runs but if the 172 got off first then it usually managed to stay ahead, and if the CTR got of first, it stayed ahead. Was very well matched. Jolly good fun !

Can I have both? Im split between the two. If a time comes when I need more space a type r would be lurrvley.

Pugboy,

Well I aint hiding!! Cant miss me, parked outside the local bakers picking up .. dropping off as you do!! ;) Yeah my car carries more bread than yours ... ha ha ha :devilish: you can keep your cup. I could live without ABS and aircon but not BREAD!!!!

TonyKL, enjoying every second of it, hitting the VTEC up to 8300rpm is quite addictive:eek: and find myself doing it more often than I should. The gear change and clutch has to be one of the best I have ever used, it is extremely smooth and precise (once it has warmed up).

Loved the 172 exclusive but loving the CTR more, I think it suits my style of driving more. Had a run in with a CTR (when I had my exclusive) and it was pretty even up to 11* and the CTR started to pull away slowly. I will hold my hand up, when running in (under 500 miles) I had a little play with a mark II and it was pretty even up to 13* but I was behind and it would have been very dangerous to try and overtake (alot of traffic on this private road) so I would call it a victory to the 172.

Like all cars the engines dont fully run in for a lot of miles , 36000 for the CTR I have been told but, it is definatley quiker now comming up to 3000k. More recently surprised a lotus elise and a 225 TT which I dont think they were impressed with.

Dont go looking for races, but if their number plate is going to look at me with that tone of voice then what do they expect...:devilish:

GR7

Shiny red R32

Danny

Think it might be 110 and 130 + mph!

You arent very bright are you! And I am a girl!!

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by KeithO on 05 November 2002

Like all cars the engines dont fully run in for a lot of miles , 36000 for the CTR I have been told but, it is definatley quiker now comming up to 3000k. More recently surprised a lotus elise and a 225 TT which I dont think they were impressed with.
Keith I have heard similar mileage figures quoted for the 172 to be fully run in.

I used * because I think * is more asthetically pleasing than say #. Upon reflection I think I should have used ^ because it reminds me of a ickle boomerang.

Chavy, I would not surprise me. I was under the impression (like others I am sure) that the engine is run in after the initial run in period (hence the name). I feel a bit disappointed due to the fact I replace my cars every 1 - 2 years so I will never get to drive them at their optimum. I know Honda engines are built to last and that they joke about the car falling to bits before the engine but I might keep this one for a while.

One thing I must say about the CTR is that it takes some used to revving it so hard without the embarrasment of people thinking you cant drive or that you are some boy racer. The car is designed to be revved this hard and once over this, the fun begins.

Later, got to go back to work.:(

Astra 1.9cdti XP

I was on the bus :oops: coming home from work the other day and saw a 172 and a CTR having a little play with each other pitty I never saw the outcome!

Seen a lot of CTRs lately mainly driven by blonde women, what going on there!!! There is a black and a silver one down from where I work and both are driven by blondes......both quite foxy I might add!!!!

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 05 November 2002

Seen a lot of CTRs lately mainly driven by blonde women, what going on there!!! There is a black and a silver one down from where I work and both are driven by blondes......both quite foxy I might add!!!!
Why thank you geordiepaul. You also caught my eye the other day, I thought I saw you driving a Red Type R .. but it was only you on the bus, its quite difficult to tell them a apart? ;)

On the bus, is the MKII of the road again?

:oops: Always wanted to be Blonde!! They seem to have all the fun. Sorry geordiepaul I could not resist. Rest assured BlondeCTR will not be making and appearance anymore.

Ford Focus 1.4 LX

Southport weekender was awesome, as ever.

As for the Clio clutch/gearchange, i think its sh*t. I have now done 21k, first clutch went after 8k (weak release plate springs) and second clutch is slipping due to same problem. The gearchange is not too bad, notchy but nowhere near as good as the CTR.

Car has continued to loosen up too, really noticed a change around 16k and now at 20k.

GR7

Shiny red R32

This morning my friend let me have a drive in her Type R (red) and I much prefer my 172 as the CTR is really high revving and for me the gears are too close together especially fourth and sixth.

I suppose I am used to my own car, but she too has problems with the gears. She has only had it a couple of months and drives it less than I drive mine! Her hubby has a 3.0 Supra so she likes to drive that as often as she can. That really is a fast car, he has had it off the clock which has 180 on the dial. Scary monster as far as I am concerned!

yep..... but we have guys here who like to Drive REALLY fast in their humble 1.2.....

I ask you....... errrrrrr. how ???????....:confused:

They probably got an empty box for xmas, and their dad told them it was....... an "Action Man" ....deserter