ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning Hoses/Pipes

'92 172, Lotus Elise
In a bid to get my engine bay a bit more bling, I wanna clean off all the crap that accumulates on the various hoses and leads in the engine bay

whats the best way to do this?

anything in particular to use?

Better than yours. C*nt.
In the past I've used WD40 to get the grime off, as it's a light oil based spray - and oil shifts oil better than anything else! And then given it a coat of Autoglym Bumper Shine or whatever it's called - although got some 303 Aerospace Protectant coming soon so will have a crack with that over the weekend!

I'd suggest either Megs APC or a citrus based cleaner, this will help to clear up any engine dirt and grime, may need aggitating on the built up areas and then a gentle wash with an open hose. Run the engine for 10 mins with the bonnet shut, a quick wipe down with a mf cloth for any puddles left and then use an exterior trim dressing on hoses, leads etc.

Better than yours. C*nt.
I'd suggest either Megs APC or a citrus based cleaner, this will help to clear up any engine dirt and grime, may need aggitating on the built up areas and then a gentle wash with an open hose. Run the engine for 10 mins with the bonnet shut, a quick wipe down with a mf cloth for any puddles left and then use an exterior trim dressing on hoses, leads etc.

Had some experience with that, and while yes it shifts the ugly stuff, the hoses discolor (all the white marks on my old volvo that were for people to cut the hoses down based on engine size had gone brown) and the degreaser didn't shift it - the WD did a great job of them though, but you must treat them afterwards!

106 GTi
Autoglym Engine and Machine Cleaner or Autoglym Motorcyle Cleaner here, agitate with a brush, rinse/wipe clean with water and clean cloth, then dress with Auotglym Rubber Plus, Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care or Einzett Vinyl and Rubber.

Had some experience with that, and while yes it shifts the ugly stuff, the hoses discolor (all the white marks on my old volvo that were for people to cut the hoses down based on engine size had gone brown) and the degreaser didn't shift it - the WD did a great job of them though, but you must treat them afterwards!

Not in any way disputing your findings at all, as we all will find different things work different ways, just told it as I found and use most days in my business, never had the problems with discolouring any rubber