ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Climate control fuse blows every time i start car

Clio 182 sport
Hi all after a long absence and many different 7 seaters and now divorced ,im back in a clio :smile: had a corsa vxr beforehand and was great fun but handling was s**t and is way to costly had to fork out for a new turbo 1k and tyres £130 a pop and then found she had an oil leak so got rid and have gone back to a 182 sport and have a huge list for mods and tidying her up....one problem i cant seem to find a fix for is the climate control fuse blows every time i start the car,before i start with a fresh fuse in everything works fine the soon as i turn the key boom the fuse blows and the display goes off...the only button that works is for the demister blowers and i can also turn them down or up,but no other buttons or blowers work,the guy in the garage said it was fine until he fitted the factory stereo back in but ive since taken that out and still it does the same thing..any ideas lads ?? cheers in advance

2003 Clio 172
You could probably start by swapping out the CC unit for a start......think you would get one quite cheap on here.
After that.....wiring.....horrible, stinky, French, wiring

J

Clio 182 sport
You could probably start by swapping out the CC unit for a start......think you would get one quite cheap on here.

J
Nooooooooo not the wiring .. was hoping maybe this was a regular thing and there was a quick fix:\ .. ill pull the cc out later today and check it and go from there cheers bro

2003 Clio 172
You could check and see if the factory stereo loom hasn't been cut or changed in any way to accommodate an after market stereo.....

They may have nipped into the CC loom to get the remote feed (for when the car is turned on or something)

J

Clio 182 sport
Thanks no the loom was not cut and the new aftermarket stereo i bought the plugs just slid straight in cept for the steering wheel controls ofc,but im putting a momo wheel on so not bothered about that,didnt get chance today to pull the cc control out but will do tomorrow and ill post a little update,thanks for your advice much appreciated :)

Clio 182 sport
Ok so i can confirm its not the cc control ... but i stumbled on this today whilst googling the issue for the millionth time http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=137136 same problem exactly except my windscreen blowers work but not the others...gonna disconnect the fans the min i get a dry hour or so and hopefully it will just be a case of replacing the fan that control's the heating blowers :smile:

Clio 182 sport
Bumping an old thread here sorry :\ soooo ive only just got round to sorting this now the winds and rain have fucked off .... since my computer and warning lights went mad after changing the steering wheel (all sorted now btw) i lost all blowers completely and simply cannot cope with the condensation building up any longer...so today i disconnected my blowers popped in a 40amp fuse started the car all fine ... now i ain't no genius like most you guys but from my workings out this cancels out the CC unit and the Resistor pack ?? soon as i plugged them back in started the car all ok till i turned blowers off and put them back on and pow fuse blown ...what im asking is in your opinions it has to be the fan surly ?? just asking before i pull it all out ..cheers as always :smile:

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
I'd consider the heater resistor/power pack (under the scuttle) probably gone short circuit and blowing the fuse (but enough resistance there not to blow the 40A). Using a 40A fuse will destroy your wiring, not recommended.

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Similar issue, different car. Our fiesta AC/CC was blowing a fuse which took out the radiator fans so it would over heat in traffic. Ford replaced the rad fan unit and it solved it...

Clio 182 sport
I'd consider the heater resistor/power pack (under the scuttle) probably gone short circuit and blowing the fuse (but enough resistance there not to blow the 40A). Using a 40A fuse will destroy your wiring, not recommended.
got the fan out now gonna swap both parts fans and resistor after a visit to the scrappie in the morning .. 40a is the standard fuse for the CC apparently .... ill chuck a 30a though after your advice cheers :)

Clio 182 sport
Similar issue, different car. Our fiesta AC/CC was blowing a fuse which took out the radiator fans so it would over heat in traffic. Ford replaced the rad fan unit and it solved it...
that's how i found out of a similar problem via a completely diffo car forum one being a ford and the other was a Renault Megane couldn't find anyone with the same problem on here funny how some issues you can track down a possible fix from a different car altogether :)

Clio 182 sport
Sooooooooooooooo an update and i really need help more than ever .... i removed the fan and the resistor ... tried the car with just the resistor in fuse blew then tried the car with just the fan in shorted 1-5 pins and the fuse blew ...so its neither causing the blowing of the fuse if it still blows without on or the other in place is it ?? could it be the actual climate control unit ?? please anyone im on the verge of binning her off and buying another 182 lol

Clio 182 sport

J
starting to think you were right all along bro

Renault Clio RS 200
Sounds like a dead short in the wiring somewhere, so as soon as you turn the ignition on and that section of wiring is fed an ignition feed it is shorting out and blowing the fuse, I would try and get a wiring diagram for the CC and see if any components share a common feed with it and try unplugging them individually. If that doesn't work then trace the wiring from the CC to the fuse panel and try and find the short

Clio 182 sport
Sounds like a dead short in the wiring somewhere, so as soon as you turn the ignition on and that section of wiring is fed an ignition feed it is shorting out and blowing the fuse, I would try and get a wiring diagram for the CC and see if any components share a common feed with it and try unplugging them individually. If that doesn't work then trace the wiring from the CC to the fuse panel and try and find the short
yep that's the plan the garage i bought it from swore it was all ok until they re-fitted the factory stereo I've since removed that and installed a new sony one but none of the wires had been cut so can only summarise they were right all along and must have knocked or nicked a wire below it to the cc ..Cheers bro