ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 1.8 16v or 172

renault clio 172
looking to get another clio been looking around and have found a mk1 clio 1.8 16v sort of half project in my area i am considering getting this and doing up but dont know too much about the 1.8 16v and any common problems they have or would i be better off getting a 172 have seen a few cup's with 100k+ in my sort of price range,
does anybody have god knowledge of the mk1 clio but could send abit my way please

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
what would you be looking at using it for? Mk1's are super rusty and probably not a good choice for daily driving. 172 is alot more practical.

mk1's are going up in price tho so could Be more of an investment and are cool AF

renault clio 172
it be a weekend car going to shows in area,the guy selling has done some welding to the inner and outer sills but if i did buy i would get new full sills put in, the engine looks like it a pig to work on the car has done 109k is this a good or bad mileage i dont know if they as strong as the later 2ltrs the ad does say the engine is tapping but he says it needs a good service are there any common faults with the engine on these

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Mk1's are money pits. But they are far cooler than a 172.

If it's not going to be your daily, I'd get a mk1.

If you want to travel in it, get a 172.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
it be a weekend car going to shows in area,the guy selling has done some welding to the inner and outer sills but if i did buy i would get new full sills put in, the engine looks like it a pig to work on the car has done 109k is this a good or bad mileage i dont know if they as strong as the later 2ltrs the ad does say the engine is tapping but he says it needs a good service are there any common faults with the engine on these

Mileage is pretty good for a mk1, engines are usually pretty strong also so shouldn't be many issues there, engines are usually tappy

Engines are no harder to work on than the mk2's and cambelts are a thousand times easier and a lot cheaper to do

Parts are becoming hard to come by though

renault clio 172
i am a mechanic by trade so mechanical repairs aint a problem just knowledge of the vehicle is
if i bought the 16v i would gradually renew everything on it

Mk1 = way cooler than Mk2.

16v versions are likely to be even rarer than Williams versions now, simply because they got cheap, chavved up and crashed/rusted beyond economical repair, and like the Peugeot 309 GTi, what was and is still an excellent car to drive suffers from living in the shadow of the better known big brother, so values are vastly cheaper and haven't risen in line with the recent (somewhat ridiculous) rises for the Williams and 205GTi.

Irritates the f**k out of me TBH - a sorted 16v is awesome to drive. (And I'm not at all annoyed that mine is likely to be seen as worthless...)

Get some pics up if you can, and also check out the WilliamsClio forum - Williams focused but most of the knowledge is transferable to the valver.

renault clio 172
ok thanks very much i will try uploading some screen shots of the ad
most clio's irritate tbh i have had a 197 and 172 in the past so not a new clio owner

renault clio 172
IMG_0075.PNG
IMG_0077.PNG
IMG_0077.PNG
IMG_0082.PNG
IMG_0078.PNG
IMG_0081.PNG
IMG_0079.PNG
IMG_0080.PNG
IMG_0075.PNG
IMG_0074.PNG
IMG_0073.PNG
Here is some pics

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
ahhh that bloody one, was just down the road from me for a while. whats the price on it out of interest?

Some hard to get ph1 bits on it tho :)

renault clio 172
I was thinking the same as it needs a brake overhaul all round, decent alloys and tyres, servicing and a few interior bits which I guess could be awkward to get hold of
When it was near you, You didn't happen to have a look at it at all

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
I was thinking the same as it needs a brake overhaul all round, decent alloys and tyres, servicing and a few interior bits which I guess could be awkward to get hold of
When it was near you, You didn't happen to have a look at it at all

I didn't mate, I know the guy who owned it but am unsure if he is on here or not

At that age, probably best to get it done regardless.

Looks in good nick to me - rear arches always go but the sills look solid. Check out the other 16v build thread that's been posted in today for pics of where to check for rust.

For £650 I'd be tempted myself, but with four cars in the household, two of which don't run, I'd probably get shot... lol

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
cambelts are more about how long ago they were done due to the age of them now

quite an easy job to do if your a mechanic anyway

16v versions are likely to be even rarer than Williams versions now, simply because they got cheap, chavved up and crashed/rusted beyond economical repair, and like the Peugeot 309 GTi, what was and is still an excellent car to drive suffers from living in the shadow of the better known big brother, so values are vastly cheaper and haven't risen in line with the recent (somewhat ridiculous) rises for the Williams and 205GTi.

Irritates the f**k out of me TBH - a sorted 16v is awesome to drive. (And I'm not at all annoyed that mine is likely to be seen as worthless...)

Get some pics up if you can, and also check out the WilliamsClio forum - Williams focused but most of the knowledge is transferable to the valver.

That Williams though..?!

Much like the 1*2 / Trophy thing tbh, £500 for a 1*2, £5,000 for a dog breath Trophy

A SHED!
Ah the mk 1 clio. I had two valvers back in the day. I'd give my right nut to have another. Sigh. I had a 2.0 hill power in my old valver. Nick Hill did the conversion. Don't know if he still has anything to do with Renaults? He could help with sourcing parts etc.

Megane R26
I'm selling one at the moment, less in Iceberg Silver than Williams!

Just uploading the ad..

£2750 ovno
Crowborough, East Sussex
63k miles
11 month MOT
FSH
Every mot
HP clear
Brand new refurbished Turbines with new Toyo T1R
New Battery
Lots spent
Drives superb
Leaky sunroof

DSC_0157-01.jpg

DSC_0149-01-01.jpg

DSC_0163-01.jpg

I'm selling one at the moment, less in Iceberg Silver than Williams!

Just uploading the ad..

£2750 ovno
Crowborough, East Sussex
63k miles
11 month MOT
FSH
Every mot
HP clear
Brand new refurbished Turbines with new Toyo T1R
New Battery
Lots spent
Drives superb
Leaky sunroof

Unnnngh

So much want.

That is a steal, it would cost more than that to get a ropey one up to standard and compared to Williams crazy prices (and given they are now rarer than Williams IIRC) it is a bargain.

Now I'm thinking what body parts I don't really need...

Megane R26
Unnnngh

So much want.

That is a steal, it would cost more than that to get a ropey one up to standard and compared to Williams crazy prices (and given they are now rarer than Williams IIRC) it is a bargain.

Now I'm thinking what body parts I don't really need...

Yup rarer than a Williams, especially in Iceberg Silver.

By the time you've bought the red one & sorted it out, you may as well have bought the silver one above. It looks ace! Factory leather too, and it's silver. It probably doesn't get any better!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
By the time you've bought the red one & sorted it out, you may as well have bought the silver one above. It looks ace! Factory leather too, and it's silver. It probably doesn't get any better!
This.

Valvers (even tidy ones) are forever costing money.
To buy a cheap tatty one to do up over an already tidy one makes no financial sense. At all.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
That silver one looks lovely, strong money but provided it's solid then tbh you'll spend way more on a 'cheap' one and attempting to fix it

williams and trophy

The Williams is worthy of its price tag......not that I'm biased or owt.

The mk1 is a much better 'fun' drive. IMHO. Valver over 172 for me too. The valver will only go up in value, the 172s are 10 a penny now.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time trying to track parts down though if you go the mk1 route.