ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 air conditioning

newbiemelody

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all,
I have a 2003 Clio 172, with non functioning air conditioning I'm trying to diagnose.
I recently took it in for a regas and new pipe. After all the work was completed, the mechanic said the air conditioning wouldn't turn on, and he said it was likely due to a faulty compressor.
Before I go out and buy a new compressor (which I can't find at the moment anyway), I want to see if there is anything I could try and test to see if I can force my compressor to turn on?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Has your mechanic actually done any diagnosing? What makes him think it's the compressor or is he just guessing?

Has it had a diagnostics on it? AC pressure sensor giving a reading? A fault on the system will inhibit the AC compressor from engaging

newbiemelody

ClioSport Club Member
Hey, I had it taken to an air conditioning mechanic. So I'm not sure how familiar he was with Clio's. He didn't specify what he tried, just mentioned that he tried forcing the compressor to activate, but couldn't get it turn on. Should I try and diagnose the AC pressure sensor myself? Where would I be able to find this?

Clio 182
There's a clutch on the AC compressor which will go clunk and engage when ac button is turned on. You can actually see it spinning when engaged. Is run on aux belt.
If this happens then you should have enough gas in system. If it doesn't engage there may not be enough gas or a problem with gas pressure switch.

My problem is that my compressor is knackered.
Fully gassed, clutch engages, but no pressure from compressor.

newbiemelody

ClioSport Club Member
Hey. Thanks for the reply. A couple weeks ago I'd actually taken the bumper off to jump the pressure switch. Before I did that I checked the compressor clutch, as Dutchie mentioned above. Seemed to spin up fine after I messed with the wires going into the compressor. AC seems to be working now, so good result! Blowing cold, just in time for winter.