ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 noise from engine

Clio Campus Sport
Hi, I’ve recently bought this car and after two or three weeks it started to make this noise. It sounds like it’s coming from the crank pulley but we’re not sure if it’s the water pump or not? Anyone know anything?

Attachments

• IMG_1598.mov
    47.4 MB

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Hi, I’ve recently bought this car and after two or three weeks it started to make this noise. It sounds like it’s coming from the crank pulley but we’re not sure if it’s the water pump or not? Anyone know anything?
What’s the history like? When was the timing belt, dephaser changed? My oil pump went and it’s more of a knocking intermittent sound, so I wouldn’t think it’s that. Dephasers are noisy, they sound like a diesel car when they need changing. It’s good practice to do timing belt, dephaser, water pump and auxiliary belts at the same time.

Clio Campus Sport
What’s the history like? When was the timing belt, dephaser changed? My oil pump went and it’s more of a knocking intermittent sound, so I wouldn’t think it’s that. Dephasers are noisy, they sound like a diesel car when they need changing. It’s good practice to do timing belt, dephaser, water pump and auxiliary belts at the same time.
I know that the aux belt kit was done in 2017 on 102k (it’s on 131k now) and the dephaser, timing belt, and as they put it coolant pump was done in 2018 on 116k miles

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I know that the aux belt kit was done in 2017 on 102k (it’s on 131k now) and the dephaser, timing belt, and as they put it coolant pump was done in 2018 on 116k miles
Timing belt needs changing every 72,000 miles or 5 years whichever comes first, so if it’s been 5 or 6 years since it’s been done, I’d be getting it sorted straight away.

Clio Campus Sport
Timing belt needs changing every 72,000 miles or 5 years whichever comes first, so if it’s been 5 or 6 years since it’s been done, I’d be getting it sorted straight away.
Yeah I’ll get on that as soon as I can. I won’t be driving it any time soon so I’ll take my time and make sure everything is done properly. Thank you for you help

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I've had almost all.of my aux pulleys start to fail the last few years, that does sound a similar noise but generally the pulley starts to wobble where that one looks ok.

The fact it's due a belt anyway means I'd just replace it all anyway! Aux belt and tensioner long overdue they are 3yrs 36k, just add a crank pulley on top of cam/aux kits and water pump.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I've had almost all.of my aux pulleys start to fail the last few years, that does sound a similar noise but generally the pulley starts to wobble where that one looks ok.

The fact it's due a belt anyway means I'd just replace it all anyway! Aux belt and tensioner long overdue they are 3yrs 36k, just add a crank pulley on top of cam/aux kits and water pump.
On a 1*2. Aux belt and pulleys is every 5 years or 36k miles. People automatically assume it's every 3 years with it being 36k and the timing belt being every 5 years and 72k.
IMG_20231120_114010.jpg