ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Phase 1 Cup Driveshaft replacement

Clio Phase 1 Cup
Hi all, I have recently purchased my first Clio: 2001- 172 Cup Limited 44/85. It's got the typical driveshaft issue which requires to replace the right hand side(driver side) shaft, purchased from K-Tec racing and received a different one
Clio Driveshafts.png

Seems way off, my questions are:
1.Can I install the new one?
2. What's the part number for the driveshaft (both side), K-tec sale is saying this is the correct right.
3. Is the after market one more reliable?
4. Can I replace the gearbox instead, I found a 182 cup gearbox for cheap and the new driveshafts are actually match the gearbox.

Thanks

monaco 172
What car is it you have exactly as theres no such thing as a phase 1 172 cup?

An actual 172 cup uses the 1 piece driveshaft in your bottom picture so I'm guessing you mean it's a normal 172 cup phase 2?

Pretty sure all other models use the 2 piece shaft as per your top picture, this bolts to the back of the engine block half way down with a bracket which goes over the bearing half way down, which if you have a phase 2 172 cup won't have the bracket to fit it. (but the bolts holes could be there, I'm not totally sure on that)

Clio Phase 1 Cup
What car is it you have exactly as theres no such thing as a phase 1 172 cup?

An actual 172 cup uses the 1 piece driveshaft in your bottom picture so I'm guessing you mean it's a normal 172 cup phase 2?

Pretty sure all other models use the 2 piece shaft as per your top picture, this bolts to the back of the engine block half way down with a bracket which goes over the bearing half way down, which if you have a phase 2 172 cup won't have the bracket to fit it. (but the bolts holes could be there, I'm not totally sure on that)

Ok, that means I have to order a 172 ph2 cup driveshaft......
and have a look at the badges I am not sure it's a cup or not..
Cup badge.jpeg

clio 172 body.jpeg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Looks like some odd edition they did for the Australian market? Did you guys not get the Ph2 172 over there?

Does that model have any of the Cup specific bits the European model got?

monaco 172
Wow. God knows what that is! Looks like a normal phase 1 to me which I believe originally came with a 2 piece shaft, so I recon at some point in its life somebody has swapped it out for a single piece shaft from a phase 2 172 cup.

I think the new one will fit (2 piece) but you will need the bracket which bolts it to the back of the engine block.

Does it have air con and abs?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
On doing abit of digging your car isn't a Cup, or not as we'd know it.
The Phase 1 172 was only released in Australia in 2001, thats the reason for the limited edition nonsense, simply because the Phase 2 was released immediately after.

So when ordering parts just get stuff for a Phase 1 Clio 172.

Clio Phase 1 Cup
Wow. God knows what that is! Looks like a normal phase 1 to me which I believe originally came with a 2 piece shaft, so I recon at some point in its life somebody has swapped it out for a single piece shaft from a phase 2 172 cup.

I think the new one will fit (2 piece) but you will need the bracket which bolts it to the back of the engine block.

Does it have air con and abs?

It came with manual air con and abs that never works in the rainy day, it's a weird version and we don't get 172 phase 2 cup in Australia. I think you are right, I have a spare 172 phase 2 sport, will have a look.

Clio Phase 1 Cup
On doing abit of digging your car isn't a Cup, or not as we'd know it.
The Phase 1 172 was only released in Australia in 2001, thats the reason for the limited edition nonsense, simply because the Phase 2 was released immediately after.

So when ordering parts just get stuff for a Phase 1 Clio 172.

where do you get these information? I couldn't find it at all, so it's a 172 sport phase 1? nothing different the phase 2 sport version??

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Couple of forums and blogs, doesn't seem to be much info around, but then thats no surprise if it's an odd single country thing.

The first RS Clio II was the Phase I 172, which was unleashed on the world in 1999.

Anyway, as is the case with most things in Australia, we had to wait a bit longer for the RS, but eventually we got the Phase I 172 in 2001, albeit in a limited edition run (just 85 individually numbered cars made it Down Under).

That same year also saw the debut of the Phase II RS Clio 172

The "proper" lightweight Cup suspension 172 wasn't sold in Australia.

nothing different the phase 2 sport version??

Yea there were quite a few differences between the Phase 1 and Phase 2 RS Clio 172.