ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 starting probelm

clio 172 2002
hi there anyone ever had a starting problem with there 172 clio sport 2002
will crank 3 times then stop
if i do it slower it will not crank at all
but if key is turned quick it will crank 3 times thanks john

Attachments

• IMG_9624.MOV
    17.9 MB
  clio 172 2002
Immobiliser, take note of the red light on the dash. Have a search on here, quite a common issue.
had the key checked seems no power two fuel pump abs think cool pack am certain it’s a bad wire or fuse box but i can’t understand y it turns over for 3 times then stops thanks for reply

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
had the key checked seems no power two fuel pump abs think cool pack am certain it’s a bad wire or fuse box but i can’t understand y it turns over for 3 times then stops thanks for reply
That's what happens when the immobiliser is active, look at the red light on the dash, it should go out after you put the key in. Also explains no power to fuel pump etc.
Check earths, try the spare key and check the big white block connector in the engine bay fuse box, often corroded and causes issues.

clio 172 2002
That's what happens when the immobiliser is active, look at the red light on the dash, it should go out after you put the key in. Also explains no power to fuel pump etc.
Check earths, try the spare key and check the big white block connector in the engine bay fuse box, often corroded and causes issues.
checked the big white plug had look at most fuses and earths goin clean them all up can you get replacement fuse box’s any were new ones .am shore the car is immobilised but key is fine i only have one all have a day on it tomorrow and let you no .the red light stays solid red i think

clio 172 2002
checked the big white plug had look at most fuses and earths goin clean them all up can you get replacement fuse box’s any were new ones .am shore the car is immobilised but key is fine i only have one all have a day on it tomorrow and let you no .the red light stays solid red i think
what about the uhc or body control module would that cause this

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
what about the uhc or body control module would that cause this
Potentially could I suppose, but I'd be thinking simpler than that first though. Have a read of some of the immobiliser threads on here. I think you can run a jump lead from the negative of the battery to the block or similar as an earth, see if anything changes. Like I say though it's relatively common on these and I'm sure it's usually wiring at fault, or an earth. I think 172s suffered more from issues with the decoder rings too, so worth swapping that if you can, they're cheap and not coded to the car.