ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Heavy Clutch

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all,

New to the world of RenaultSport, I needed a temporary car so thought I'd jump in one of these for a few thousand as a little fun runner for 6 months+ and I've found and put a deposit down on a Racing Blue 182 FF, she's standard apart from just the exhaust as far as I could tell.

unnamed.jpg

Just wanted some clarification on how the clutch should feel in these cars, I've been in dual-clutch automatics the last 2 years so part of this may be down to me, but I found on the test drive that the clutch was really really heavy with a very low biting point. Is this normal for these cars, or am I potentially looking at a clutch replacement type job soon down the road?

Anyone had a similar experience in their 182 and may be able to let me know if this is normal, and if not what may be wrong?

Thanks.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Hi all,

New to the world of RenaultSport, I needed a temporary car so thought I'd jump in one of these for a few thousand as a little fun runner for 6 months+ and I've found and put a deposit down on a Racing Blue 182 FF, she's standard apart from just the exhaust as far as I could tell.

View attachment 1502888

Just wanted some clarification on how the clutch should feel in these cars, I've been in dual-clutch automatics the last 2 years so part of this may be down to me, but I found on the test drive that the clutch was really really heavy with a very low biting point. Is this normal for these cars, or am I potentially looking at a clutch replacement type job soon down the road?

Anyone had a similar experience in their 182 and may be able to let me know if this is normal, and if not what may be wrong?

Thanks.
The car you've pictured is Arctic Blue not Racing Blue.
They are quite heavy clutches compared to some other cars . My 182 from new was quite heavy , I also had a new 172 . That was also quite heavy. Then again I guess it's down the person and what they've been used to driving before.
I wouldn't worry about it.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
The car you've pictured is Arctic Blue not Racing Blue.
They are quite heavy clutches compared to some other cars . My 182 from new was quite heavy , I also had a new 172 . That was also quite heavy. Then again I guess it's down the person and what they've been used to driving before.
I wouldn't worry about it.
Good to know about the colour, cheers.

Thank you, I'm sure I'll get used to it, part of it is coming out of automatics I'm sure.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Good to know about the colour, cheers.

Thank you, I'm sure I'll get used to it, part of it is coming out of automatics I'm sure.
You'll also have to get used to the high seating position which can feel a bit strange when you first drive one.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
You'll also have to get used to the high seating position which can feel a bit strange when you first drive one.
Funnily enough I had a 2001 1.2 Clio as my first car so I was expecting that. It's what attracted me to these, that little 1.2 was a great car. This is the same thing with a big engine right? 😂

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Clutches are very heavy compared to modern stuff but you’ve got a cable too don’t forget.

Seats can be lowered a bit (circa 10mm which does make a difference) Just remove the seats and then the spacers (just replace with a washer to allow them to slide still)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Yeah they're just heavy, put new one in mine and within 20k miles, heavy again

Low bite point however is more of a concern, could be cable stretch or could be clutch on the way...

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member

Low bite point however is more of a concern, could be cable stretch or could be clutch on the way...

Big job for a new clutch cable? Sounds fairly simple for my local garage to sort.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i put a new genuine clutch and genuine clutch cable in one of mine, few months later it was back to being heavier and creaky lol - my van proper creaks when its warm

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all,

View attachment 1502888

Thanks.

I was the same, went from an SMG to a 'temporary' 182. After a few K I didn't even notice the clutch and just put it down to my sissy automatic clutch leg. I thought I would keep the car for 6months but 3 years later and its still here - I still can't find anything which does better on the cost of ownership V fun scale. It let me buy a super practical and boring barge for family duties without hanging myself a few weeks in.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I had oem clutch on mine, then a helix gr n unit. Both stiff.
If you want a big difference swap to a OE spec sachs clutch and a new cable. Night and day difference.