ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 - leak

Clio 182
Hi,

I’m new to cars, know very little.
I’ve bought a 04 clio 182. Been to one track day so far and the trailer it came with wasn’t suitable. Long story short we struggled to get it on, clutch was smoking and we lost a few drops of oil.
The car had been sat before this for months, no evidence of a leak from here.

Now it still only seems a drop a day maybe 2, seems worse on a hot day.

Looks to be leaking between the plates underneath that screw on the first photo.

A) what is this?

B) common issue? Any ideas how to fix it?

IMG_5418.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5417.jpeg
    IMG_5417.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome to the 182 club😃

With old cars like these, it’s understandable that you might get a few drops of oil. Depending on how they’ve been maintained, most will weep over time.

Oil generally leaks from a number of places. A small list would include the gearbox selector seal, crankshaft oil seal (flywheel), thermostat housing - working its way down, and the sump gasket. This is not an exhaustive list, as there can be other sources of leaks.

Yours doesn’t look too bad judging by your photos. Just keep an eye on it and check the levels, especially before going out on the track. Obviously, you don’t want to be spreading oil on circuits, but you’ll know when it really starts to leak. Maybe buy a sump tray if it doesn’t already have one, and check periodically.

The smoking clutch might be oil related. More likely wear and tear. How was the clutch on circuit once you were going?

Clio 182
Welcome to the 182 club😃

With old cars like these, it’s understandable that you might get a few drops of oil. Depending on how they’ve been maintained, most will weep over time.

Oil generally leaks from a number of places. A small list would include the gearbox selector seal, crankshaft oil seal (flywheel), thermostat housing - working its way down, and the sump gasket. This is not an exhaustive list, as there can be other sources of leaks.

Yours doesn’t look too bad judging by your photos. Just keep an eye on it and check the levels, especially before going out on the track. Obviously, you don’t want to be spreading oil on circuits, but you’ll know when it really starts to leak. Maybe buy a sump tray if it doesn’t already have one, and check periodically.

The smoking clutch might be oil related. More likely wear and tear. How was the clutch on circuit once you were going?
No tray currently, will get one.

Not been on circuit since it appeared. Was loading onto the trailer after the event.
I’m just concerned I’ll replace the oils then under load on track it’ll be a bigger issue and ruin peoples day

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
No tray currently, will get one.

Not been on circuit since it appeared. Was loading onto the trailer after the event.
I’m just concerned I’ll replace the oils then under load on track it’ll be a bigger issue and ruin peoples day
Understood. Be prepared to spend.

200.gif