ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Rear glass removal - help please?

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hi,

I am looking to remove the glass from my rear tailgate and fit to a fibreglass one I've just purchased.
I need the glass as for the hillclimb class I run in all the windows have to be glass (no plastic ones allowed)
I've trawled though several websites but struggling to find any information on best way to remove without breaking the glass!!

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
Hi,

I am looking to remove the glass from my rear tailgate and fit to a fibreglass one I've just purchased.
I need the glass as for the hillclimb class I run in all the windows have to be glass (no plastic ones allowed)
I've trawled though several websites but struggling to find any information on best way to remove without breaking the glass!!
Maybe not much help but you might as well buy a scrap tailgate for your fireberglass, will be easier to switch too.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Hi,

Cheese wire is the best way mate, you need two of you to do it, you can pick up the wire and handles for £10 odd of eBay. Personally though I would get the two tailgates together and call a windscreen indie to cut out and restick, from past experience being a windscreen fitter I cant see it being more than £30. By the time you've purchased a bonding kit your going to be somewhere near that anyway!

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Cheese wire is the best way mate, you need two of you to do it, you can pick up the wire and handles for £10 odd of eBay. Personally though I would get the two tailgates together and call a windscreen indie to cut out and restick, from past experience being a windscreen fitter I cant see it being more than £30. By the time you've purchased a bonding kit your going to be somewhere near that anyway!
Thanks, for the advice. Step one, I've just sorted the cheese wire on ebay £2.95!

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
No drama. If going down the DIY route, for back windows I would always start at a corner, saw through until you can see the wire in the car. Pop off a handle and pull the wire through to the inside then saw around with the person inside.
You will need a sharp, long Stanley knife on an angle to scrape the old bond off the glass. Clean the surface with alcohol or something of the sorts.
The fibreglass tailgate needs etching with some wire wool or a high grit sandpaper to give it a key then clean the same. With the bonding kit use the black primer to paint where you are going to glue on the fibreglass. Then run your bead of glue, the standard nozzle they give you should be fine, it only needs to be a thin bead, 5-8mm high if that, if you go any bigger it will just ooze out when you press the glass in place. When doing the bottom section get the glue as close to the lip leading inside the car as possible, if it's too low or will ooze out the bottom of the glass, you will see what I mean when doing it lol! You will have a join or two in your glue bead, either use a spare nozzle or the end of an old pen to join the two piece of bond until you can't see light through the join. If it's sticks dab a bit of alcohol cleaner on your chose 'nibbing in' tool. When you've bonded back in get some tape and tape it in place and leave it for an hour or two to fully cure.
I'll put a link to the stuff we used in the trade, same product but not in trade packaging or volume. I'm sure with a bit of searching you could find a cheaper one.
Just so your prepared tools wise I would use;
- Cheese wire,
- Stanley blade or bond removal chisel,
- Wire wool or high grit sandpaper,
- Alcohol cleaner, or some kits include an 'activator' which is the same stuff,
- Primer and bond.

Hope this helps. Done loads of clio rears before so if you get stuck just drop me a message 👍

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Forgot to mention also, you will need about 1-1.5 tubes of bond and obviously a caulking gun.

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Forgot to mention also, you will need about 1-1.5 tubes of bond and obviously a caulking gun.
Hi Jack,
Thanks for your help and guidance on this. I’m just in the process of spraying the fibreglass tailgate after getting out all the moulding imperfections.
I have a practice day mid March so will attempt this between mid March and mid April when I have my first event. Gives me time to approach this carefully and source another tailgate if I f**k it all up. One option might be as the original responder suggested is to source a cheap damaged tail gate with good glass and use that.

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hi Jack,

Just to let you know rear glass installed in fibreglass tailgate. and mounted back on car.

As you suggested took it carefully. although I went through two sets of cheese wire.

I used the bonding toy suggested.... take a bit of force to get it out of the tube.... but now all in place,

Thanks again for the instructions!

Tony

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Hi Tony,

Glad your all sorted! If you need any other glass related advice feel free to drop me a PM 😅