ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 2 RS SORN

Clio 172 cup
Looking at a clio locally that has been sat as part of a collection for the last couple of years (2 to be precise). It’s low mileage and has been well looked after with full service history.

My question is around what sort of work is typically needed (if any) to get these back to 100% if they have been unused or used very sparingly over the last couple of years?

Clio 172 cup
yes it has been kept in a garage. It has a brand new set of tyres. I had thought the brakes might be a key point. Belts were done 2 years (less than 1000 miles) ago.

Clio 172 cup
I’m only planning to use it mainly in the summer myself. Is a car cover something that would be a big benefit during the winter as I don’t have the garage space at the minute.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Literally the worst thing you could do to a car.

Well obviously using it would be better. But disagree. Can you imagine the state of belts, fluids, brakes unused constantly for many years? Each to their own but I’ve owned a few classics that get laid up for 6 months at a time through the winter and will always start them once a month if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
I’m only planning to use it mainly in the summer myself. Is a car cover something that would be a big benefit during the winter as I don’t have the garage space at the minute.

I’m not a fan of car covers for outdoors. In a garage to keep the dust off. Outsdoors they just seem to trap damp and inevitably blow around and potentially off. If you are going to get one got something car specific that fits well and doesn’t touch the ground.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Well obviously using it would be better. But disagree. Can you imagine the state of belts, fluids, brakes unused constantly for many years? Each to their own but I’ve owned a few classics that get laid up for 6 months at a time through the winter and will always start them once a month if I can.

Why would the belts or fluids degrade less if it's started up once a month ?!

Oil takes a good 15-20 mins of proper driving - not idling - to warm up. Idle revs won't really get it all where it needs to be either. Have heard of cars left in dealers workshops over weekends idling accidentally Friday night, come to find it Monday morning dead as a dodo because no oil flow, major cylinder wall wear and eventual death.

Wouldn't leave a 'modern' car idling for a while or just drive it 10m if it wasn't being driven properly as you'll just fill the exhaust with water amongst other things.

Complete waste of time.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Why would the belts or fluids degrade less if it's started up once a month ?!

Oil takes a good 15-20 mins of proper driving - not idling - to warm up. Idle revs won't really get it all where it needs to be either. Have heard of cars left in dealers workshops over weekends idling accidentally Friday night, come to find it Monday morning dead as a dodo because no oil flow, major cylinder wall wear and eventual death.

Wouldn't leave a 'modern' car idling for a while or just drive it 10m if it wasn't being driven properly as you'll just fill the exhaust with water amongst other things.

Complete waste of time.

So oil pressure and temp gauges tell lies?

Ever left a car for a few years and had the alternator burn the belt off on start up? Oil used in an engine collects other s**t. Left lying it can cause corrosion internally (although longer terms than 2 years). Crispy cam belts from being left in a single position for years. All of this I would trade for some water in the exhaust (prob stainless anyway [emoji23])

Anyway back on subject. Check the condition of the brakes. Make sure they work. Check the clutch. And as R-Sport says. Check the cam belt. That will not technically be due for 3 years but being left in a single position potential for years would do it any good.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Have heard of cars left in dealers workshops over weekends idling accidentally Friday night, come to find it Monday morning dead as a dodo because no oil flow, major cylinder wall wear and eventual death.

If that story was remotely true then the car had an underlying health issue with the oil pump!

Letting a car run for a few minutes once a week/month while it's off the road will do it absolutely no harm, in the same way leaving it for 2 years without turning the key will do it no harm.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Exactly. Longer without any preparation can do damage. 2 years will be ok but maybe take some precaution with a good service and a set of belts sooner than the service schedule says.

People will say all sorts from putting it on axel stands to take weight off the suspension etc but in reality, stick a trickle charger on it if possible to keep the battery topped up and that's all I would worry about, maybe stick fresh oil in it before and try and have as little fuel in it as possible so you can put fresh fuel in it when your ready to use it again