ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 Gearbox Issue...

Clio RS 200
Hey all!
Just bought a Clio 200 absolutely fell in love with her from the moment I first test drove her.

In short had it just under 48 hours, took her on the motorway to give the car a clear out. Never went over 65/70 at most, lovely ride to just cruise in.

Anyway on my return the gears would not let me select 1st or 2nd, 3rd and 4th select but 5th&6th can sometimes slot in to 3rd/4th if this makes sense.

I pulled over to double check and it slotted into first! Wrong. Reverse without even pulling up the lever.

Got it home and it does this with engine on or off. If I put it into reverse then shift to 1st it seems to slot in but I'm not 100% as I haven't tried pulling away (fear of doing more damage).

No crunching or grinding, the gearbox was smooth as silk before it happened and the clutch still feels responsive to 3rd/4th.
The driving I have done in it has been really light (highest ive done is 4/5k in third when curioisty got the better of me) as it's just pure pleasure to cruise in.

Hate to barge in and my first post be like this, but no other post seems to follow the issues specific to my own...

Any info would be great!

Also just for care; yup garage that sold me has been notified but cannot do anything to Monday, just wanted a potential heads up..
Many thanks again!

Worth checking the selector cables are still in their location slots on top of the gear box (might have to whip the battery tray out to get access from the top)

Clio 182
This happened to me.
One of the cables popped out its socket.

You can have a feel ontop of the box without removing anything to see if the cable is in position.

Reactions: Gus
  Clio RS 200
This happened to me.
One of the cables popped out its socket.

You can have a feel ontop of the box without removing anything to see if the cable is in position.

Thanks I'll have a look tomorrow, as I've no experience with Clios is it doable?
Also any one got a link or video that could give me a visual on the rough where abouts?

Hate to be a pain :(

Clio 182
Under the battery is the gearbox.
Put your hand under and you’ll feel 2 cables ontop of the box.
Both connected with a ball and socket type joint.
Firstly make sure both are connected.

Then run your hand along each one and you’ll feel a half moon bracket ontop of the box.
Each cable casing should lock into that.

It’s easier if you remove the battery and tray but perfectly doable in situe.

I dropped from 6th to 4th and pinned it on the motorway, that pulled the cable out the socket and I clipped it back in on the hard shoulder easy enough.
Think I didn’t refit them properly after the gearbox swap.
It may not cure your issue but the symptoms are identical to mine.

Reactions: Gus
  Clio RS 200
Under the battery is the gearbox.
Put your hand under and you’ll feel 2 cables ontop of the box.
Both connected with a ball and socket type joint.
Firstly make sure both are connected.

Then run your hand along each one and you’ll feel a half moon bracket ontop of the box.
Each cable casing should lock into that.

It’s easier if you remove the battery and tray but perfectly doable in situe.

I dropped from 6th to 4th and pinned it on the motorway, that pulled the cable out the socket and I clipped it back in on the hard shoulder easy enough.
Think I didn’t refit them properly after the gearbox swap.
It may not cure your issue but the symptoms are identical to mine.

Thanks so much for the detailed response.

I'll definitely have a look when I get a chance, does any particular part need replacing if this is the issue or is it just a case of adjusting it again?

Clio 182
I’m sure it’ll be fine.
If In doubt whip out the battery and the tray and you’ll get a better view of the condition.

Seems weird it wasn’t seated properly. Has it had a clutch or gearbox recently?

Clio RS 200
I’m sure it’ll be fine.
If In doubt whip out the battery and the tray and you’ll get a better view of the condition.

Seems weird it wasn’t seated properly. Has it had a clutch or gearbox recently?

From what I can see via paper work no. But it recently got serviced and MOT'd by the garage I literally just bought it from. Not sure if something happened in that process?

I might ring Renault and ask if any clutch or gearbox works been done on it. Other than that the car is absolutely fantastic.