ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio MK2 1.2 8v intermittent starting problems!

Clio
Hi all,

First post here other than the welcome area! I'm looking for some assistance from you kind people :rasp:.

Basically I bought my girlfriend a 1.2 8v 51 plate Clio for her first car. It was very cheap as it had starting problems which I though would be able to cure.

Here's the situation:

Often you put the key in, the red light flashes and obviously the car does not start. A couple more times of turning the key sometimes gets it to go off.

Sometimes when the immobilizer light goes to solid red, however the fuel pump does not start. If I leave the key in like this, count to 10, ignition off and back on then the fuel pump primes and all is well.

If the immobilizer light wont stop flashing, we can turn the ignition off, hold the lock button on the key whilst turning the key and this works around 90% of the time first time.

We have work arounds for the intermittent starting but it's not ideal obviously and would just like to see it fixed!

Here are somethings I've tried so far:

Replaced key battery,
Replaced TDC sensor,
Soldered internals of key back as some had split and car was not locking and unlocking very well, now unlocks first time every time from a distance.
Tried re-syncing key procedure

I've read about the earth wire but from what I've read that is the problem if your immobilizer light goes off but still doesn't start?

Does anyone have any ideas and would be kind enough to assist me? Any help much appreciated!

I'm a Volkswagen man so my knowledge is pretty limited on these, however I'm keen to learn!

Thanks again

Clio
Hi there,

No spare key unfortunately, just clean all the prongs on the relays I take it?

Thanks for the reply!