ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio noise diagnosis

Clio 172
Have noticed a whining sound coming, i think, from the back of the clio for the last while and i assumed it was a wheel bearing on the way out. a friend of mine was driving behind me the other day and said one of the wheels was very wobbly, i never asked which one, but he said i need to get the wheel balanced.

anyway, i jacked the car up to see if there was any play in any of the wheels, and low and behold there wasn't even the smallest bit of play in any of them. the whining noise speeds up as the wheels rotate faster, so i didnt think it was driveshaft related, although i never thought of checking the cv boots for leaks. any ideas what the whining could be?

also, when i was jacking the car up, i noticed a creaking noise coming from the rear suspension, more noticably the drivers side. could this be rear beam bushes on their way out?

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
whining noise is 99% gonna be wheel bearings. Even thought the wheels arnt loose, the bearings are still worn. This is the whining you can hear.

if its at the back its almost certainly not drive shaft related ;)

Sounds definitely like a wheel bearing.

With regard to the wobble - get the back of the car in the air, spin the wheel - wobble may be due to uneven tightness between the bolts and/or massive imbalance

Last edited:
  RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
surely if it wobbles then you would notice it when driving, though?

A slightly unbalanced wheel shakes like fook, so a wobbly wheel would be a nightmare, surely?

Clio 172
if its at the back its almost certainly not drive shaft related ;)

Sounds definitely like a wheel bearing.

With regard to the wobble - get the back of the car in the air, spin the wheel - wobble may be due to uneven tightness between the bolts and/or massive imbalance
yeah i forgot to mention i'd now isolated the problem to the rear wheels, most likely the drivers side rear wheel

i have a spare wheel so i'm gonna switch that wheel on to see if it stops the wobble at all
surely if it wobbles then you would notice it when driving, though?

A slightly unbalanced wheel shakes like fook, so a wobbly wheel would be a nightmare, surely?
yeah it is fairly noticable alright, thats why i'm bumping this up for some help as i'm free this weekend to try and sort her out;)