ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio with Rotrex super charger

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Bloody hell you on commission too??!

Yea I dont doubt it. If he can wire his own DTA loom then i trust him!!

They both are [emoji23]. But yeah as you probably know by now the only reason why old set up for is for sale is because I was fed up with chocolate boxes and went with 02m dog box and naturally needed fully built turbo engine and big turbo to suit lol. As you do.
I personally think mk2 should have had a turbo engine as an option from factory. At 230bhp it’s a different ball game. There is just not enough grunt on the straight with NA.
Regarding reliability. If you do it by the book they are as reliable as stock. I had mine for 18months and only 1 copper nut was lost on the manifold. Think I did 25+ track days, ring, and sprint event. Worked faultlessly. The key is not to cut corners. Not use questionable parts/spares/consumables. Proper maintenances key. I would check oil 2-3 times a day. Also for leaks etc. Prevention is the best cure. Also a bit of mechanical sympathy goes a long way. Don’t be launching in 1st gear all the time. Be smooth. I drive very aggressive so it’s not like I am nannying it. @eddie can confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I dont have to confirm nothing about your driving style.. there is loads on the #ruskiweldshit You-tube channel for everyone to view..innit....

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I myself if doing an engine again I would like to go with the mk3 head and pistons in the Mk2 block. For the fact not many have done it :cool: I know it’ll be a bit of work to put the two together..great gains thou as the mk3 head is far superior to the Mk2. How much is it to machine the Mk2 block? Mk3 pistons..cheap as chips, just need a decent head.

My engine now is 83mm Wossner pistons 12:8:1 high comp bottom, Schrick cams (similar to 421’s), ktec DTH ITB’s,one piece valves, catcam valve springs. That’s putting out 215.9bhp 174ftlb’s and cost at least 3.5 grand but it has been bullet proof for a good 6 years now.
obviously turbo is the cheapest way but turbo and heat! and so many breaking them once built would put me off.

@1985michael182 whats your engine putting out at the moment? I went from 200bhp to 215 with the cams and it’s very noticeable.

hope that helps.

This is the way I’d go on a clio to be honest.

The beauty of the car is it’s weight and handling, sticking a load of extra weight over the front (manifold, turbo, intercooler, pipework) is only going to have a negative effect on handling.

And for the record, I’m a big fan of turbo cars.

If I was building a track car I’d go reliable, high revving NA. I love my turbo imprezas (still have 2) but they’re point n squirt B road fun rather than spending all their time near the redline on track fun.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You could just flog the car and get something else.

I guess you've got a few grand aside to put towards the engine upgrade already, and the car as it sits must be worth a decent amount.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Haha, well cadwell is a 6 hour round trip for me. It was ok with standard seats and cup suspension but ive got a bucket seat now and soon to get stiff coilovers...thats not gona be a comfortable drive.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I drove the 11/12hrs to the Nurburgring in my cup with buckets and stiff Ast’s. You need to man up. [emoji23]
I drove all the way to the Ring as well.. Mines got Stiff Ast's, Buckets and a f**king annoying PMS rattling shifter.. But the Q7 is really comfy and the Cup was well quiet sat on the trailer. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
I drove all the way to the Ring as well.. Mines got Stiff Ast's, Buckets and a f**king annoying PMS rattling shifter.. But the Q7 is really comfy and the Cup was well quiet sat on the trailer. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Was less annoying than your singing that’s for sure!

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Was less annoying than your singing that’s for sure!

That'll teach you to not give me a 2 way radio... TBH I thought youd appreciate a bit of The Carpenters "I'm on the top of the world" [emoji1787][emoji2357][emoji1787][emoji2357][emoji1787][emoji2357][emoji1787]

Clio 197,with megan'
Driving from Thurso to the ring, is around 1200 miles one way in my Meglio, so I've kept the heavy Recaros,( For now.) and the aircon.At my age, I need a bit of comfort. One of the group runs a Caterham R500, but trailers it there.

I find that turbo cars are abit to mental in terms of power delivery. With the ITB's you can feather the throttle much better, you know exactly how much power your going to get and its very progressive.

I found this quote in an old thread, but it is exactly this that makes me think that a 200 hp NA Clio is better than a 230 hp turbo Clio (for track use that is).

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Back on topic, any other Renault/Clio/Rotrex/any other supercharger type builds out there currently?

Clio 197,with megan'
I drove the 11/12hrs to the Nurburgring in my cup with buckets and stiff Ast’s. You need to man up. 😂
Ha Kids stuff, I drive from Thurso to the ring, around 17 hours, 2 days at the ring, drove straight back, another 17 hours. Would have been quicker, but the Tunnel had a delay. You kids are too soft these days!.