ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio3 K4J 1.4 16v no idle after cambelt change

renault clio mk5
Hi, sorry to bother you again.
I renewed my cambelt on 2006 Clio K4J, I have done this twice before 5 and 10 years ago with no problems. This time when I started the car is started first time and revved okay but will not idle, I rechecked the cam timing with Cams locked and Crank against the locking pin and it is perfect. I did notice that after I turned off the engine the Throttle body is buzzing. even with the key out of the ignition its still buzzing. I had to disconnect the battery to stop it. Have I forgotten something, I have rechecked all the bits I took off ie throttle body, Battery with box, Air filter housing etc to gain access to cams. Tried a Google search but throttle body problems are usually with engine running.
appreciate any ideas
thanks
Alex

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
No it revs normally with the throttle, it just dies when you take your foot off throttle
Are all wires connected to sensors properly like map/maf sensor?

I'm not familiar with that engine specifically but I am assuming it doesn't have an idle control valve so it wouldn't sticking. And I'd be more inclined to say the throttle body regulates the airflow at idle?

Is it starved of airflow somewhere?

renault clio mk5
Are all wires connected to sensors properly like map/maf sensor?

I'm not familiar with that engine specifically but I am assuming it doesn't have an idle control valve so it wouldn't sticking. And I'd be more inclined to say the throttle body regulates the airflow at idle?

Is it starved of airflow somewhere?
I didnt disconnect any sensors but could have knocked them. what worries me is is the throttle body buzzing all the time even when i turn off ignition. could I have knocked a pipe off or damaged a wire. cant see anything untoward..

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
buzzing from the throttle body is perfectly normal, it will stop about 30 seconds or so after the car is shut down. you sure the cam timing is spot on? floating pulleys so belt tensioned with the pulleys loose etc as per the workshop manual?

renault clio mk5
buzzing from the throttle body is perfectly normal, it will stop about 30 seconds or so after the car is shut down. you sure the cam timing is spot on? floating pulleys so belt tensioned with the pulleys loose etc as per the workshop manual?
Do you mean tighten tensioner with crankshaft pulley removed, thats what I did. So it takes up slack before tightening crankshaft pulley bolt.
I never touch the Cam Pulleys as they are set by Renault when new. Is that correct. done it before like that and it was ok last time.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
All pulleys should be loose.

1. Lock the crank at tdc and the cams on the gearbox side using the tool so the engine is fully locked
  2. Loosen cam pulleys and crank bolt and remove tensioner.
  3. Replace belt making sure the markings on camshaft pulleys are aligned
  4. Tension belt
  5. Turn over the belt thru 6 rotations (pulleys are loose so it's the belt and pulleys turning - not the engine)
  6. Check to make sure timing marks all line up, if so, torque everything up, remove crank and cam locking tools, turn over engine a few times and confirm you can still lock it at tdc - timing spot on
Here's a copy of the workshop manual, K4M and K4J are the same process

Attachments

• K4M.pdf
    24.8 MB · Views: 50
  renault clio mk5
All pulleys should be loose.

1. Lock the crank at tdc and the cams on the gearbox side using the tool so the engine is fully locked
  2. Loosen cam pulleys and crank bolt and remove tensioner.
  3. Replace belt making sure the markings on camshaft pulleys are aligned
  4. Tension belt
  5. Turn over the belt thru 6 rotations (pulleys are loose so it's the belt and pulleys turning - not the engine)
  6. Check to make sure timing marks all line up, if so, torque everything up, remove crank and cam locking tools, turn over engine a few times and confirm you can still lock it at tdc - timing spot on
Here's a copy of the workshop manual, K4M and K4J are the same process
Thanks for that. I didnt undo cam pulleys as they were ok, the marks lined up with cam locking bar in place. They havnt been touched since new in 2006. I usually turn it over about 4 times with crankshaft pulley bolt removed so tensioner takes up slack. If cam timing was slightly out would that cause it not to idle, and have the throttle body buzzing with key out. Last time i did cambelt it started and ran ok for last 6 yrs. if it is cam timing then i will strip it down again and do it properly as you say. Its my sons car and he is missing it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
it would struggle to idle if the cam timing was out but obviously there is other things that could cause it not to idle too, I'm just going along the lines of, if you have double checked all your steps and confirmed everything is connected etc then the cambelt is the only thing that's been changed so it would point towards the cam timing being slightly out

renault clio mk5
it would struggle to idle if the cam timing was out but obviously there is other things that could cause it not to idle too, I'm just going along the lines of, if you have double checked all your steps and confirmed everything is connected etc then the cambelt is the only thing that's been changed so it would point towards the cam timing being slightly out
I refitted the Throttle body after cleaning it, and it started ok but running a bit rough, the buzzing has stopped, but it ticks over lumpy, now taking
the cam covers off at the back and removed the Crankshaft pulley to recheck the cam timing. will do it as you say to get it correct.. thanks for the info it is quite interesting.