ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clouded headlifht

Mk 2 Clio 1.4 16V
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas how to get rid of light clouding?
This is my headlight below but the other side looks brand new :-(

e3u7e9ym.jpg

9ebamana.jpg

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Looks like moisture on the inside?

Check the seals, dry it out and make sure the seals are refitted properly

if it's hazing it needs sanding and polishing. Where are you?

Mk 2 Clio 1.4 16V
Hello knuckles,

It's not moisture it's just been raining haha and it's hazing how would I sand and polish it? I'm next to Cambridge

Mk 2 Clio 1.4 16V
Cheers guys I'll give this a go and let you know how it goes. Hopefully it works then it's cheaper than buying a new light lol

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
There's a few guides on restoring these. Most of the stuff you need can be bought from halfords too.

P1200-p2500grit wet and dry and meguires scratch x I believe is what people use

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Masking tape all around the headlight.

800 or 1200 wet and dry paper and keep going and going and going until the whole face of the light is smooth and not patchy.

Get some Cutting compound (heavy polish) on a machine polisher and use plenty of water as the plastic gets mega hot. If you burn it you'll have fucked it.

Then use some Auto glym Super resin polish on a soft pad on a machine polisher to finish.

Seal it or wax it regularly to increase lifespan of it happening again.

It should look like this before and afterwards...

a3u2e7ah.jpg

avebu7av.jpg

etu6u4a2.jpg

You don't need a rotary, you can do it by hand. Plus if you've wet & dry'd it enough the compunding should be minimal.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You don't need a rotary, you can do it by hand. Plus if you've wet & dry'd it enough the compunding should be minimal.

I have to disagree. I've yet to see a set done by hand that don't look crap. Either that or they weren't bad enough to warrant a heavy sand and then machine polish.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I need to do HOU's, but the polisher s**t the bed a few weeks ago. They're not particularly cloudy but they're yellow.

What d'you recommend to seal them by the way?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I need to do HOU's, but the polisher s**t the bed a few weeks ago. They're not particularly cloudy but they're yellow.

What d'you recommend to seal them by the way?

The yellowness seems to be inside mate. I did them twice and it made no difference. :(

I'm using Auto Finesse sealant at the minute. Seems to be pretty good tbh.

Clio 172
No idea. Only started using the AF stuff this week. Detailing chat on here seems to suggest 3 months longevity which seems quite good.

Ah cool thanks - I've been toying with the idea of doing mine; was just putting it off until I found a decent sealer. Didn't want to be polishing the f*****s every other week!

CS Dungeon
OP's problem if definetely hazing and not condensation........... He's my brother!

Ive got the machine poilishers, wet and dry and all the polish's you need to sort these bruv! I need to do mine now as ive got it back out of storage again yesterday!

I have to disagree. I've yet to see a set done by hand that don't look crap. Either that or they weren't bad enough to warrant a heavy sand and then machine polish.
They look like new now :) and they were bad tbh. It took me about 90 mins to do them from start to finish.

I even did one of mine a few weeks ago as it had a couple of little scabby bits on the top, Ant had been over it etc, but I figured I could make it better :cool:

Ph1 172.
On my Phase 1 I wet sanded them with 800, 1200 and 1500 then hand polished mine using Meguiars Scratch-X

55a47dc3.jpg

7c68eeb7.jpg

585edee2.jpg

b1e17d81.jpg

Mk 2 Clio 1.4 16V
OP's problem if definetely hazing and not condensation........... He's my brother!

Ive got the machine poilishers, wet and dry and all the polish's you need to sort these bruv! I need to do mine now as ive got it back out of storage again yesterday!
Okay you sexy son of a b**ch lol