ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clunking noise

S

scottyboy1972

Hi, i picked up my new Clio Sport 172 about 2 weeks ago and have recently noticed a clunking noise and wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

What happens is when i start the car and pull away in first gear i always hear a clunking sound, but it only seems to happen once then it goes away until the next time i start the car and pull away!

Renault Laguna Coupe

I have exactly the same thing. The car is booked in to get it sorted out on the 14th May. Favourite theory seems to be one of the nearside engine mounts. It will get a bit worse - if you pull away gently in 1st youll get the clunk when you select second.

Welcome to the forum!

Er, are you sure that it isnt the RAID comming on? The doors only lock when you hit about 5MPH.

You may have eliminated this already but if Im right itll save you feeling silly at a dealers.

MB

Renault Laguna Coupe

LOL good thought, but nah this is a proper mechanical clunk, in addition to the RAID locking the doors. Sounds almost like something hitting the underneath of the car.

:) I was pretty sure that you would know that Mike but scotty may only just have turn his on and not realised it. When I picked mine up the RAID Auto lights and auto wipers were all turned off. I discovered them over the course of two weeks and couldnt believe all my new toys! The manual that came with the car in Dutch otherwise I would have found it all straight away (not as much fun)

MB

RB5 & 172

mine has a clunking/ banging noise in every gear over 5k now. sounds really bad. in 1st its clunks if i pull of quickly. i think it is the engine mount under the battery as few people on here have had the same problem. my car is booked in for next weds to get it checked out again.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Yeah mine was like that too - it was only when someone at work picked up a 1.6 16v which already had the RAID turned on that I realised what it was supposed to do! Strange that they deliver cars with the toys turned off by default.

Lee

BMW M2C

I think I get that scotty. I get a faint knock from what feels like the transmission not long after pulling away from startup. In the morning it tends to be a few yards after I have reversed out of the garage. It doesnt do it again as you say.

I also get the knock from the front left when cornering very hard on a bumpy road surface! Thats most islands then :)

Yeah I get exactley the same thing. Small clunck from the passenger side of the car first time after start up.

Let me know what the dealer says.

S

scottyboy1972

Ok cheers guys for the feedback.

I dont want to sound stupid but how do you enable the RAID system! I have only just got the car and its my first clio so forgive me! I suppose i should read the manual! :)

It only happens when i first start the car and when i pull away in 1st , but im sure its feels more like a clunk from under the car! I also have a rattle thats just started from the back somewhere, which is annoying me a bit! Apart from that it seems a great little car so far!

RAID locks the doors automatically at about 5mph. Press the door lock button above the stereo for 5 seconds and it will beep at you, then the RAID is initalised. If this stops the clunk you have solved the problem. Just switch it back on and ignore it.

When RAID is on the doors cannot be opened from the outside , anti hijack system. Pulling the internal handle disengages RAID so you can get out.

MB

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by scottyboy1972 on 02 May 2003

It only happens when i first start the car and when i pull away in 1st , but im sure its feels more like a clunk from under the car! I also have a rattle thats just started from the back somewhere, which is annoying me a bit! Apart from that it seems a great little car so far!
Ive decided Im going to learn to live with the rattles. The fewer times Renault get their hands on the car the less extra problems they can cause. So far Ive only had to have a couple of things fixed. A faulty external temperature gauge and new runners for the passenger seat.

Ive also got a rattle from the back, I think its the parcel shelf and trim at the side. I also get one from behind the display in the middle of the dash, but this comes and goes. Build quality aside, it is still an incredibly fun car which is the reason I brought it.