ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch pedal failed?

Hi,

Whilst driving home the other day in third gear I pressed the clutch to change up to 4th and the pedal hit the floor. I can no longer change gears with the clutch, there is no resistance from the pedal, it has gone from a heavy pedal to light as a feather. I've looked at the car today to see if it was the clutch cable, that doesn't move when you press the clutch. I've looked at the pedal itself and it doesn't appear to be attached the lever behind the pedal. Has anybody experienced this? Any suggestions where to start? Is it likely to be the clutch has failed?

Thanks

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
The link rod on the pedal will have popped off.

Screenshot_20180930-204806.png

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
Clutch pedal assembly can be removed without removing the entire pedal box. Bit of a faff but I managed it recently when my self adjuster spring had corroded slightly and stuck so it wasn’t grabbing the big toothed wheel above the pedal. This was giving the same symptoms. Pedal to the floor with no resistance, no clutch action whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clutch pedal assembly can be removed without removing the entire pedal box. Bit of a faff but I managed it recently when my self adjuster spring had corroded slightly and stuck so it wasn’t grabbing the big toothed wheel above the pedal. This was giving the same symptoms. Pedal to the floor with no resistance, no clutch action whatsoever.

Any tips on how you did this?

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
Any tips on how you did this?

I’d need to look at it again. Fairly sure I just removed the cable from the pedal mech and then removed the bolt that the clutch pedal hinges on. There’s a slight gap between the brackets for the clutch and brake and the clutch pedal and mech will with a faff twist and turn to get out the gap.

I’d need to look at it again. Fairly sure I just removed the cable from the pedal mech and then removed the bolt that the clutch pedal hinges on. There’s a slight gap between the brackets for the clutch and brake and the clutch pedal and mech will with a faff twist and turn to get out the gap.

I don’t suppose you remember if the cable goes above or below the link rod? I forgot to take a picture before taking it out ?

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
I don’t suppose you remember if the cable goes above or below the link rod? I forgot to take a picture before taking it out [emoji107]

Ahh I had this. Had to go out and check it my 1.2 daily Clio.

I’ll check in the morning for you but you might have to PM me to remind me!

Clio182
Hello all

I have got the same problem on my 182 and now I have ordered the above upgraded linkage and Managed to remove the old one as it was knackered. The nyon was cracked inside my original and it was recommended by a RAC man that I buy a upgraded version. I am now struggling to attach the new upgraded version as it is really tight to work. I don’t get how your meant to put the sirclips in and how ur supposed to get the new linkage to fit on as I feel this is impossible.

Clio182
Buy a replacement, it'll just keep popping off.

The ball joint inside will be worn.

If you search for clutch pedal link rod for a Clio, you'll find them for sale.
I have got the same problem on my 182 and now I have ordered the above upgraded linkage and Managed to remove the old one as it was knackered. The nyon was cracked inside my original and it was recommended by a RAC man that I buy a upgraded version. I am now struggling to attach the new upgraded version as it is really tight to work. I don’t get how your meant to put the sirclips in and how ur supposed to get the new linkage to fit on as I feel this is impossible

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I have got the same problem on my 182 and now I have ordered the above upgraded linkage and Managed to remove the old one as it was knackered. The nyon was cracked inside my original and it was recommended by a RAC man that I buy a upgraded version. I am now struggling to attach the new upgraded version as it is really tight to work. I don’t get how your meant to put the sirclips in and how ur supposed to get the new linkage to fit on as I feel this is impossible

I've not tried it with the uprated part, my mate says it's difficult too :sneaky:

Clio182
Here's the video

Thanks all for the prompt replies much appreciated,
THis is the exact same make of linkage I have brought X8r... the thing is every video I have seen they have the pedal box out on a work bench to do the change over. I attempted this yesterday whilst it was situated on my car and it was a ball ache. I have been told my push plate on my clutch is very stiff and that’s why the previous original part failed. I need to be able to drive my car from London to Kent so I can do the clutch at a mates garage. I cannot risk putting the old original linkage as it will fail again does anyone know Anyone who has managed to put this part on with the clips ??

Clio182
Just going to throw it out there that the clip goes on AFTER you've connected it. Just in case.
I have tried it with the clips out , with the clip semi in
Either the clips fully in there’s just no space for me to work. Getting the washers on was a mission it self.