ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clutch pedal is very stiff

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
Can the clutch pedal be made softer ?? Because it's really hard and is difficult to find the biting point causing me too stall it, or shoot of like a bat out of hell

Kev

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
i think mines fine but when my dad drow it he thought it was extremely heavy

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
The thing is i carn't get used to it lol, it is very stiff like said it's causing me to stalll the car and cannot find the biting point:mad:

Iceburg 172FF
Nowt you can do really mate, mines the same as are most of them. Stick it out you will get used to it eventually lol

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
learn to drive :D guess your type R had a soft pedal so the OAPs could manage it? correct? :p

172 A Cupwork Orange™
mines a 172 cup and is the same heavy you will get used to it in the end mate dont worry

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
i thought mine was a nice cluth feel then i got a williams and that was pretty much the same then my hybrid and that has a nice feel, i went to test drive a couple 182s a couple weeks back and it felt horrid pulling off with one lol

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I've only test driven some 172s so far mate, and tbh I've not really thought any of the clutches were that stiff. Unless Clio clutches are generally stiff?? After 5 mins in the car, I was fine with it.

The Civics I've known, Type R and normal all have had soft clutches. My mums 95 Civic has a really soft clutch, too soft after getting used to the Clio.

1990 Rover 200, that was a STIFF clutch.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Never driven a vehicle with a clutch so stuff, if i drive anything else i just look like a t**t kicking the floor lol.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
The clutch in my 172 is nothing compared to the one in my old 306, now that was stiff.
Only thing that had me stalling when I got it was the crazily high bite point.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I find it's pretty easy to feather the throttle as you let the clutch out to stop it juddering or over-revving. Little blips tend to keep it all fairly smooth.

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
Ok so it's not just my car then lol. i've had the car 4 weeks now and still battle with the clutch every junction..............it really is stiff.

clio 172 cup
is cars like the dc5,scooby,evo etc not got heavy clutchs i just thought all performance cars were like that?

320d
My 1.2 has a very heavy cluch and the bite point is right at the top of the travel, i thought it was going after only 36k but i've heard all renault cluches are like that.

Is it normal then? been worrying me?

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
I was the same as you mate, hated the way it felt almost creaking feel to it, never liked pulling hard off the junctions.... untill i oil'd all the cable up & all the moving parts inside the car, feels sweet as now :D ... just bought another 172... now that clutch cable is fooooked lol

Racing blue 182
mines got a heavy clutch, feels light as though now im used to it, when i drive the fiesta and get back into the clio though it takes about an hour to get used to it again!
every one whos trys to drive her stalls it too haha

Monaco RS Clio 172
lol my mother drove my clio home as my insurance didn't start until the day after I purchased.. it was so horrible not driving it home and waiting 24 hrs with it on the drive but not worth the risk of being uninsured tbh.

loved it behind me tho on the motorway thru the tunnels the auto lights came on (long tunnels around the m25).. then turned back off again couple of mins after we exited.

but she stalled it literally every time she stopped. I was scared to death when she stalled behind me in the middle of the road pulling into the lane towards my place, right across a busy road, cars going towards it. I thought great... there goes my new car lol

I found it stiff for about a week, still annoys me now pulling away, but it is a hell of alot lighter than my old 1995 8v rsi was so still seems fairly light.

when I drive my bosses vito day in day out, then get back in, it is a bit stiff feeling, but on the other hand on monday morning, I always nearly put my foot straight thru his footwell and take his clutch pedal clean off lol.. hit it that hard

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
Ok so it's not just my car then lol. i've had the car 4 weeks now and still battle with the clutch every junction..............it really is stiff.

The clutch on my works van is a lot stiffer but I know what you mean. I think the problem is that they are a bit jerky (ie its hard to release the clutch pedal smoothly) and the biting point seems to change rather than being stiff.

I used to find it was alot easier to drive hard and fast than slow and smooth.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I thought it was really stiff when I bought mine, but a couple of weeks later stoped thinking about it. Its just when I drive other cars now I find myself kicking the floor, clutches on new VW's are so light!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
This might sound daft but i find stiff clutches more engaging

My brothers 55 plate Fiesta ST has a really light clutch and it just doesnt feel convincing if that sounds weird lol

BMW M3
Nah some 172's are stupidly stiff. I've had a 172 and 182 and obviously know the clutch is stiffer than most. But my mate's 172 clutch in my eyes is screwed, it's that stiff.

I tried parking it once and stalled it twice (I don't think I stalled that many times in my first driving lesson).

Monaco RS Clio 172
I understand what you mean..

and agree with the above also - easier to drive it hard and flat out than it is to drive it slow / smooth.. definately.

sat in traffic in it 5th day I had it for 2 hours near the new forest, fantastic start to my weekend away.

god it was a nightmare balancing it up hill compared to my previous cars.

felt like it was gonna just go any minute it bit so high. soon as I got back I got straight on here asking signs of clutch going on these lol

PH1 172 Sport
I quite like the heavy controls just needs to be manhandled! I find them quite precise now. The new cooper s has just as heavy controls so its not just a renualt thing!!

1.2 16valve sport
i prefer stiffer clutches, i feel i have a lot more control and the power release feels better, hate light clutches they make the engine feel weak in my eyes

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Wd40 is not really a good one for this mate...

I got my self some castrol sythetic motorbike chain oil

Basically, when it comes out of the can its very "waterey" ( runs into all the gaps & in the cable surround ) then a few minutes later it sets - greasy like, so no probs with it just wiping off like wd40

The best part to oil up, i found, was the end of the cable under the air box, be carefull not to let it all run down the clutch fork though!

Other than that all you can do is get the soft clutch kit from renault which basically is a longer clutch fork, not bad for £40, only prob is you've gotta remove the gearbox :dead: lol