ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch smells and noise

Robproof

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
At a track day in my Clio 182, noticed a weird “whiring” noise on engaging gears from a standstill and from low speed 1-2nd. Also, you can smell the clutch burning initially before the car picks up revs.

When it’s rolling it goes away completely and the car drives totally normal. Any ideas?

Just fitted a new gearbox with a gripper dif- all worked perfect. Clutch has done around 4-5000 miles and still seems to have plenty of bite.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
whirring noise go away once the clutch is fully released? tone of the noise change as you press the pedal harder or release it lighter? sounds like the release bearing if so.

Robproof

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Thanks- goes away once clutch is engaged- doesn’t really change, just occurs when under load - when pulling off.

Just trying to find out what I need to order and if I need to drop the box

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
sounds like it could be a noisy clutch release bearing, ive had one on my daily driver for about 10k miles, don't notice it until someone points it out now lol

Anakin

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi TT RS Clio 182
Mine did this just before the clutch gave in,
can hear it at 3min 37sec in the vid below.

Anakin

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi TT RS Clio 182
Let’s hope so then. Will get one on order. Getting bored of dropping the box out 😂
Well thats gone :p one half of the clutch came off the other is dust in the box :p
396664941_348769594497857_6214719578462125155_n.jpg

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Well thats gone :p one half of the clutch came off the other is dust in the box :p
View attachment 1668295
Mine did kinda same at beginning of year, but the disk literally went in pieces and a managed to get stuck between its remainings and the flywheel. Result: trackday wasted + car stuck because of no way of disengaging clutch, came home on a friends trailer..
Now I fitted a 4 pad synthered race clutch.

Anakin

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi TT RS Clio 182
Mine did kinda same at beginning of year, but the disk literally went in pieces and a managed to get stuck between its remainings and the flywheel. Result: trackday wasted + car stuck because of no way of disengaging clutch, came home on a friends trailer..
Now I fitted a 4 pad synthered race clutch.
Pretty much what happened to me, clutch lasted till 3pm though so got a few sessions in.

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Pretty much what happened to me, clutch lasted till 3pm though so got a few sessions in.
Been lucky mate, mine begun in first session to make gearbox inserts "challenging" and while trying to understand if it become loose the gear shifter joint, or else.. it begun to smell and selfwrecked. Just managed to get out of track in 4th gear..
So..half session.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Looks identical to mine! What clutch did you got for? I've gone for an Organic Sachs one and a lightened flywheel. All run in now will get a chance to test it on track next spring, works great on the road, nice and free reving on blips.
I ran the Sachs organic kit and lightened flywheel for years in my circuit car without issues. Great bit of kit.