ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cold start idling problem

Ph1
When i turn the ignition from cold the car tries to stall iself, idles at 500 / 400 rpm then often cuts out.

Revs also nose dive between gear changes till after a few minutes driving.

Once the car is warmed up it starts, idles and drives fine.

Its like it needs the choke pulled out on cold start lol

Does anyone have any idea's what the problem could be before i start cleaning filters, ISCV, TB etc etc ?

I wondered if it could a lambda issue?

106GTI / NovaC20LET
You on the standard ecu map? They all tend to wanna stall when you first start it. after I put a rstuner map on mine started and idled perfect no matter how cold. Just give it a tiny rev as its starting, that's what used to do.

Ph1
No this is right on the wire of stalling not typical lumpy start up: Infact, just put the car away now and didn't bother blipping the throttle to hold the revs and it just cuts straight out everytime. Also noticed the alarm LED light by the gearstick was flashing in a very slow delayed manner :S

I'm just wondering with this LED alarm thing as well now if this is water in the electrics or a duff ecu? On the way back from a mates the other night the speedo died twice but quickly restored itself and also a week back the radio wouldn't light up and turn on , just the one time but again is fine now. Not sure if all this is connected or not ?

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Is the battery getting tired? When mine decided to die the CD player stopped working and all the electrics started playing up due to low voltage.
As for the lack of idle is it only when the temperature is below zero? Mine has been a bit of a pig below zero until its warmed up a bit recently but any other time it will idle from cold.

Ph1
I'll give the battery a check tomorrow mate cheers.

Outside temps have always been + degree's since developing this problem. First time it didn't idle right from cold was straight off the back of a 2 hour drive.

Ph1
Anyone??

Tried two different coolant sensors, different coil pack and cleaned the TDC sensor and the idling problem is still there. Started to do it the odd time on warm engine starts now. Random electrical issues have disappeared so just want idea's what it could be regarding the idle.

Balders172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
sorry to bring up old thread but this is exactly whats going on with my 172 to the T. Outside temp always in the +, lumpy from start up until warm (not the norm lumpy start), speedo dying too. Any help would be great

renault clio 1.4 16v
sorry to bring up old thread but this is exactly whats going on with my 172 to the T. Outside temp always in the +, lumpy from start up until warm (not the norm lumpy start), speedo dying too. Any help would be great
I had a problem with the earth near the brake fluid reservoir that was causing ideling and cluster problems, moved it to a different spot and its been fine ever since, also had some problems with the plug going to the throttle body, I always say its worth going through all the plugs and earths in the engine bay and giving everything a clean...