ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Collecting Cars - The Renault Collection (live now)

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Includes 182 Trophy #001, R26.R #000 and R26.R #001, RS275 Trophy R #001.

Last edited:
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  200,182 Trophy, Cup
I think it has to be accepted by anyone buying these cars that few of them will be mint examples. Most of them have been press cars, used and abused by motoring hacks. Chris alludes to this in his piece. I suppose what you are buying is a bit of RUK heritage.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ah they from Renault themselves? Like when mitsi sold their's?

Or did someone collect these?

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
They're all Renault heritage/press cars that were sold to a collector who is now selling them on I gather.

I remember the older cars from the collection going on CC last year like the 4CV etc, some went quite cheaply because the market for was fairly flooded by the sales.

Hoping these don't go the same way, some are quite cheap ATM.

Collecting cars has an anti-sniping feature where every lastly minute bid adds two minutes but the mongs bidding still do it which really ratchets the prices at the end.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  997 C4S
So these are Renault uk cars?

I find it odd that they don't want to keep hold of some of these, I mean why sell Trophy no 001.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With renaultsport as a brand now deceased what use do renault have for these cars? It's a shame that the whole RS history has just been brushed under the carpet by Renault but hopefully these all sell for strong money and help the increase in value of all RS cars. There's never going to be cars like these made again so grab them while you can.

P. S. I may be selling my BG 182 if anyone is intrested 👍🤣.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
225   0   0
  TCR'd 172
Peetty suelre I Saw that trophy at a show years ago had defo had a front end bump panel gaps were not good up close🤣

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Several
With renaultsport as a brand now deceased what use do renault have for these cars? It's a shame that the whole RS history has just been brushed under the carpet by Renault but hopefully these all sell for strong money and help the increase in value of all RS cars. There's never going to be cars like these made again so grab them while you can.

P. S. I may be selling my BG 182 if anyone is intrested 👍🤣.

It's sad how some manufacturers are throwing away strong brands so casually. Renault Sport was a way stronger brand than Alpine, so it was a strange move in my opinion.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peetty suelre I Saw that trophy at a show years ago had defo had a front end bump panel gaps were not good up close🤣
It probably has, the press and demo fleets for manufacturers work on a very tight schedule. They are constantly booked and each time they come back from use are mechanical and cosmetically checked. With paintwork being done sometimes overnight!! The cars always have to be in top condition. These cars were press fleet then moved in to the heritage fleet. CH pointed out none had been restored. So likelihood is the cars came off press fleet and were stored. They have since been sold and now will be sold again.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  LY 200 EDC
I guess Renault France will keep their heritage cars that are (I believe) stored in Dieppe, the likes of the 5 Maxi's, F1 cars, Laguna Supertouring to name a couple at the tip of the RS and Renault iceberg.

It does seem strange that RUK have sold them off, was there ever a press release with their intentions?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Several
Heritage fleets are strange things. I used to work with Ford and dealt with the guys running the heritage fleet quite regularly. How well funded it is, and how high a priority it is was basically the whim of the senior management. If you had a big boss who was interested, then they were looked after. If they weren't. there was always talk of downsizing. It's harder now as they're trying to look like they're forward-looking and all about "smart mobility", so it makes spending money maintaining heritage cars difficult to justify.

It's sad, but I think some of these executive types can be guilting of forgetting the importance of heritage.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
45   0   0
  Too Many
Want the Trophy to hit £30/40k and then I might get mine fixed and sold :oops:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So these are Renault uk cars?

I find it odd that they don't want to keep hold of some of these, I mean why sell Trophy no 001.
Exactly that.

I mean a quick Google returned the comment "Renault Group said it had a net profit of $1B in 2021, beating analysts' expectations."

Keeping hold of a small (ish) unit, storing anywhere from 20-50 cars and paying for a couple of staff as mechanical custodians, isn't exactly going to break the bank. In fact, make some money from it and charge a small entrance fee to the viewing public.

Manufacturers spend billions and many, many years to establish a desirable brand that people want to buy into. To have some of their crowning achievements (especially No's 001 and the like) sold to anyone with a fat wallet, is very short-sighted, imo.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is the cost of storage and maintaining these cars far out ways any long term upside. Largely the heritage fleet maintenance contracts are tied in with other fleet management contracts and outsourced. Despite how active this forum and a couple of others there is very little sentimentality for old Renaultsports. Certainly in the U.K.

It’s also worth noting that RUK is a National selling centre for Renault. So you will probably find Renault Heritage fleet globally is held somewhere else. Given Renault now have moved their performance brand to Alpine, what’s the value in them keeping older, expensive to maintain cars? It does little for their overall profile and given they have been heavily invested in EV longer than most manufacturers, why would they need them? Ultimately whilst we see them as important and unique vehicles, it’s just another car to them.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thing is the cost of storage and maintaining these cars far out ways any long term upside. Largely the heritage fleet maintenance contracts are tied in with other fleet management contracts and outsourced. Despite how active this forum and a couple of others there is very little sentimentality for old Renaultsports. Certainly in the U.K.

It’s also worth noting that RUK is a National selling centre for Renault. So you will probably find Renault Heritage fleet globally is held somewhere else. Given Renault now have moved their performance brand to Alpine, what’s the value in them keeping older, expensive to maintain cars? It does little for their overall profile and given they have been heavily invested in EV longer than most manufacturers, why would they need them? Ultimately whilst we see them as important and unique vehicles, it’s just another car to them.
But surely that's a short sighted view for any profitable business to take though?

Ask anyone in business and the most difficult thing to assign a value to is goodwill. Just how much money is a brand like RenaultSport actually worth? It maybe less than I, or many others think - or it could be significantly higher. Either way, I'd be willing to put on a hefty bet that it's much higher than the cost of maintaining a dedicated fleet of cars and storing them adequately.

It's far too easy to overlook the power of a brand - especially an historic one. Yes, they may have switched now to Alpine and we've got that bland landscape of EV drudgery in front on us to look forward to. But a lot has been written, filmed and experienced by people over the years about RS as a brand and some of the items that they have produced. Fond memories of 'I had one of those in my first job' or 'my dad had a Williams back in the day' - such comments and recollections are very powerful tools for a business.

We're in a reflective state, more now that we have ever been. The likes of the Goodwood Revival have become a Mecca in recent years. How many of us go to track days or go watching live racing and comment on some of the car obscurities that we see there? Often taking pictures. The JDM market of the 90s to early 2000s has exploded in popularity with the US market now being able take on purchases and similarly, prices of desirable cars here have shot through the roof. My own personal view of Audi as a modern manufacturer just makes me shrug my shoulders. Yet stick an old 2.2litre 5-pot Quattro in front of me and I go all gooey.

Nostalgia cannot be bought - it has to be experienced. Making people feel good about their memories and having a direct association with an example of a car that they either owned, or used to know in front of them, will never loose appeal.

Far too often businesses make stupid, regrettable and often irreversible decisions based on the bottom row value of an Excel spreadsheet. Stick hold of your legacy Renault - you designed it, built it and should for the vast majority of the time, be proud of what you've achieved.

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
After reading the above comments I think it does actually make sense to get rid of them from Renaults point of view, in essence they are a business and partially state owned so if these cars are costing money to store and maintain why would a good healthy business do this? at the end of the day or other media outlets need examples for any reason they can just hire them from an enthusiast or if they just need one for a photo shoot any old bodge of a car looks fine from 6 feet away. I saw this programme once about a company who source cars for music videos and films and they did just that.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But surely that's a short sighted view for any profitable business to take though?

Ask anyone in business and the most difficult thing to assign a value to is goodwill. Just how much money is a brand like RenaultSport actually worth? It maybe less than I, or many others think - or it could be significantly higher. Either way, I'd be willing to put on a hefty bet that it's much higher than the cost of maintaining a dedicated fleet of cars and storing them adequately.

It's far too easy to overlook the power of a brand - especially an historic one. Yes, they may have switched now to Alpine and we've got that bland landscape of EV drudgery in front on us to look forward to. But a lot has been written, filmed and experienced by people over the years about RS as a brand and some of the items that they have produced. Fond memories of 'I had one of those in my first job' or 'my dad had a Williams back in the day' - such comments and recollections are very powerful tools for a business.

We're in a reflective state, more now that we have ever been. The likes of the Goodwood Revival have become a Mecca in recent years. How many of us go to track days or go watching live racing and comment on some of the car obscurities that we see there? Often taking pictures. The JDM market of the 90s to early 2000s has exploded in popularity with the US market now being able take on purchases and similarly, prices of desirable cars here have shot through the roof. My own personal view of Audi as a modern manufacturer just makes me shrug my shoulders. Yet stick an old 2.2litre 5-pot Quattro in front of me and I go all gooey.

Nostalgia cannot be bought - it has to be experienced. Making people feel good about their memories and having a direct association with an example of a car that they either owned, or used to know in front of them, will never loose appeal.

Far too often businesses make stupid, regrettable and often irreversible decisions based on the bottom row value of an Excel spreadsheet. Stick hold of your legacy Renault - you designed it, built it and should for the vast majority of the time, be proud of what you've achieved.
But none of that changes, the cars aren’t crushed. They are just sold on?? History can’t be unwritten. These cars were never on display in a Renault U.K. museum. They were undercover in a very expensive workshop…if indeed they were part of a heritage fleet.

As to the Renaultsport Brand. Most people don’t know what that means. Very few call it a Renault sport 5 Turbo, or a Renault sport 172. It’s just a Renault Clio 172. So outside of the Renault sport world it’s not really a big brand as you would think in the U.K. motorsport to one side, but we aren’t talking motorsport we are taking the sale of heritage road cars

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
But none of that changes, the cars aren’t crushed. They are just sold on?? History can’t be unwritten. These cars were never on display in a Renault U.K. museum. They were undercover in a very expensive workshop…if indeed they were part of a heritage fleet.

As to the Renaultsport Brand. Most people don’t know what that means. Very few call it a Renault sport 5 Turbo, or a Renault sport 172. It’s just a Renault Clio 172. So outside of the Renault sport world it’s not really a big brand as you would think in the U.K. motorsport to one side, but we aren’t talking motorsport we are taking the sale of heritage road cars
I agree with both of you but as I eluded to earlier business and sentiment do not go hand in hand. Most people at the top of their game are just in it for the cash and a company like Renault will need to justify all their decisions to share holders who can ultimately decide what goes on through nothing more than evaluating the balance sheet. I presume Renault sport projects are run by project managers and financial managers and not car enthusiasts and the only reason these cars where ever kept on was due to creating a larger asset fund at a time when the company was making a good profit. Let’s be honest the car industry is suffering and therefore if it was my business I would sell off my assets to re invest in r&d for other projects.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regards the storage POV…

I’d dish them out amongst dealerships for show, saves the storage issue. I’d probably set foot in a Renault dealer just to have a look at 001 trophy or a V6. Next thing you know salesman starts talking about lineage and red being a no cost paint option and… oops you’ve bought a brand new Renault Twazzy!

Well, maybe not but you get the picture!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Several
Regards the storage POV…

I’d dish them out amongst dealerships for show, saves the storage issue. I’d probably set foot in a Renault dealer just to have a look at 001 trophy or a V6. Next thing you know salesman starts talking about lineage and red being a no cost paint option and… oops you’ve bought a brand new Renault Twazzy!

Well, maybe not but you get the picture!

There's definitely value in that sort of thing. Ford make/made their heritage vehicles available to dealers for events and, like you, an interesting older car would definitely pull me into a showroom. Their cars are also used for TV productions and the like. A heritage fleet doesn't have to be an expense, and can easily pay for itself if it's well managed.

Most manufacturers still maintain a decent heritage fleet, but not all do it in every country. Ford obviously have a big one in the UK, because the UK is such an important market, and because they traditionally had a big corporate presence here. Germany has a big heritage collection, as does the US obviously. For someone like Renault, who don't the same structure and traditions here, I guess it may be harder to justify, though I still think they could have made it work.

The problem right now is that most car brands are desperately trying to make themselves look modern and all about EVs and mobility solutions. It's difficult for a lot of them to fit heritage into that narrative.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you are missing the point. Renault have a heritage/classic fleet in France at their Flins plant. Quick google suggest the fleet is as many as 750 Cars.

Renault U.K. is not the same as Ford of Great Britain. You’d need to understand the mechanics of global car manufacturers and the regional ‘national sales centres’ to really understand why. FOGB is very different, both is scale and U.K. heritage.

there is literally little value in Renault U.K. keeping old press cars on fleet after a certain point. Cars can be shipped over from Paris to places like Goodwood and whilst a trophy is cool over here it was a very U.K’centric car.

so, yeah it’s cool to own them, I can assure you it costs more than you think to store. But ultimately it probably makes more sense to rationalise the fleet centrally in Europe.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Several
But you are missing the point. Renault have a heritage/classic fleet in France at their Flins plant. Quick google suggest the fleet is as many as 750 Cars.

Renault U.K. is not the same as Ford of Great Britain. You’d need to understand the mechanics of global car manufacturers and the regional ‘national sales centres’ to really understand why. FOGB is very different, both is scale and U.K. heritage.

there is literally little value in Renault U.K. keeping old press cars on fleet after a certain point. Cars can be shipped over from Paris to places like Goodwood and whilst a trophy is cool over here it was a very U.K’centric car.

so, yeah it’s cool to own them, I can assure you it costs more than you think to store. But ultimately it probably makes more sense to rationalise the fleet centrally in Europe.

FoB are a very different organisation to Renault UK. However, while there are big differences, the point stands that a well-managed heritage fleet can be an asset, rather than just a cost centre.

It makes sense for someone like Renault to keep the majority of their heritage vehicles in France, but a small, focused selection of key vehicles from a particular market could still be a useful asset. I certainly wouldn't recommend that they kept an example of every model ever sold, but there are a few cars that represent significant points in their history that could be useful.

An original Espace, a Clio Trophy, a Clio Williams, an R26.R, and an Alpine A110 might be about enough. They could be maintained by the press garage, rather than having a distinct outfit, or their maintenance could even be contracted out if required. I bet dealers would kill for the cache of being the official heritage custodian. Cost can be offset by renting out to dealers for events, for TV use, or for other events. Maintaining a handful of vehicles that do tiny miles is a pretty insignificant cost if you handle it right. It would be tiny compared to maintaining the regular press fleet. Relying on a supply of heritage vehicles from France would come with its own issues and costs too.

The UK was one of the biggest markets for Renault Sport, so I do think caution is required when throwing that in the bin. I think the switch to Alpine is a mistake personally. The A110 has sold in tiny numbers (under estimate I believe), so I'm not sure that the brand is going to do what they hoped. It's sad in a way that the focus is on the top-end models. One of the most interesting things about the Ford collection is the cooking models. Basic Mondeos and Fiestas are almost extinct in the wild. Preserving those cars is more important than preserving the hot models in many ways, as the hot models will be preserved by private owners.

I understand your point about these cars not being useful in a world where the R.S. brand has been canned, or where we're focusing on EVs, but you also have to balance things for the future. If Alpine does fail and they have to bring R.S. back, they then might find themselves looking for cars to replace what they sold (manufacturers have had to do this in the past). Also, I think we may see that, once the initial EV fluff has died down, that brands have to rely a lot more on heritage to try and give themselves some identity over their rivals. This may see us going for "coach built" cars based on EV skateboards, or trying to trade off retro designs that echo the designs of the past. Heritage vehicles suddenly become very useful when you're trying to trade on your history.

I don't think a manufacturer can realistically have hundreds upon hundreds of vehicles tucked away in every market, but I think execs do need to be a little cautious when sweeping these things out of the door, as I've heard enough stories of this happening and then, a few years later, people being tasked with finding nice examples to replace what was sold previously.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s kind of my point, Renault do have a fleet and I would suggest that they have Renault Sport vehicles tucked up alongside them. We don’t actually know that RUK don’t have a fleet. I can check at work as we manage heritage fleets as part of wider press fleet contracts. But they may have just sold off duplicated vehicles…we just don’t know! We do know that the Trophies and V6 were press cars. Given it looks like they had never been restored, they aren’t really the traditional heritage fleet fodder.
I’ll ask my colleagues and contacts, we work super closely with Renault and the wider Alliance. But I’ll bet this isn’t just the sacking off of all their ‘special cars’