ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Colour coding as I understand it...

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I would like to get my car colour coded, but can't be without it during the week unless it's important (i.e. repair)

So I figure it'd make a good weekend project.

As far as I understand it, you sand down the surface of the plastic, fill gaps with primer and repeat until it is as smooth as it can go.

Then laquer it (what do you use to do this part ? Brush, spray ???)

Paint it (again, I've heard the best finish is an airless pump, but don't want to buy tools that will cost more than it would cost to get it done by a professional).

To make things a little quicker, I shall use a belt sander (does anyone know of reasons you shouldn't do this ??)

And I have an air compressor and a spray can attatchment for it, but again, I understand that isn't for painting small pieces of plastics..

Any comments ?? I want to do the bumpers and side strips along with the door handles.

Will it be delusional of me to think I can do it all in one weekend ?? If it comes to it, I can always tape over the gaps if it takes a day or so extra.

Chocolate Bar™
dont use a belt sander, as its too aggressive for the plastic. if you do wish to use a sander use something like a black and decker mouse or a random orbital sander as a belt sander will sand strips into it. personally i use wet and dry 120 grit, then work progresivelly up to about 500.

spray it in plastic primer (grey) then give it two coats of filler primer (yellow stuff) then leave it overnight and wet sand it with something like 1200. this should give a good enough base to just touch up with primer where appropriate if you've done a good job on the sanding.

when its fully prepped just spray it as you would anything else. as soon as its dry lacquer it (by spray) and leave it for a couple of days to fully harden to prevent stone chips coming as the paint cures.

so potentially more like a week project, as its bigger than you think. with the exception of the door handles you could remove all the parts from the car and drive round without them if need be, altho bumpers is a bit dodgy due to the old police.

in all honesty, i wouldnt attempt them myself until you've done something else and got the nack of it. if your using a compressor it will give a better finish, but does take longer to perfect - so no point wrecking your things.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Point taken, though I have seen some good jobs done on here by others doing it for the first time.

I think I'll sand and prime it myself, and have a friend (who owns and runs a bodyshop) spray it, when it comes to it I'll probably get it all done by him though..

I'll try and get hold of a right door handle for the time my pieces are away so it can all be done together).

Chocolate Bar™
if your going to give it to a mate, just give it to him well sanded. no doubt he will want to use his own primer so that he can guarantee the topcoat.