ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Colour Coding

Flame Red Delight
I have a black clio mk2 phase 1.2 and i was wondering how to colour code the sideskirts and the 2 bumpers. I have enclosed some pictures i was wondering if i should spray them myself or do i need to get them professionally done.

Allan

Attachments

• SSL20387.JPG
    SSL20387.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 23
  • SSL20385.JPG
    SSL20385.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 31
  Breaking A 172 Replica
You mean the bump strips me thinks.

You can do it yourself but it takes a while and you need a fair few materials.

Sam

Flame Red Delight
You mean the bump strips me thinks.

You can do it yourself but it takes a while and you need a fair few materials.

Sam

Okay is their any particular paint u need? and do u know the process you go through to make sure that they dont peel etc.

Allan

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
You need to rub the sidestrips down with 320 grit wet n dry first .Then clean the sidestrips , degrease them with some panel wipe or similar .

Next spray the sidestrips with plastic primer . Let it dry and rub them down with some 1500 grit wet n dry .When you happy that its nice n smooth . Clean them again with panel wipe and /or use a tac cloth for the dust .

Now apply the colour coat .4-6 coats should be adeqaute depending how thick you apply the paint .Leave to dry between coats , around 30 mins shouldbe long enough . If your happy with the finish . Now you can apply the lacquer .If the colour coat is not perfect you can rub them down with some 2000 grit wet n dry .

Apply the lacquer , too thin and it will turn out slightly matt finish , too thick and it can run easily and become a little cloudy .Apply 3 or 4 coats , until your happy with the finish .Leave to dry for a good 48 hours . If the finish isn't perfect , rub the lacquer down slightly until smooth .Then you can polish them up with Meguiars scratch X

A couple of tips . If you have a heated shed it would be better , the paint will dry faster .Keep the sidestrips , clean , dust free and dry at all times when your spraying .Get the paint from a local motor factors place that will mix the paint and put it into aerosols for you .

megane
r take it to a bodyshop lol prob wont be to much for sidestrips
its worth a try yerself to though u never now u mite b good at it an other ppl will pay u to do theres which is a bonus

Flame Red Delight
Cheers mate a think i might take a trip down to Halfords today then. Hopefully they can supply me with all the pieces needed.

You need to rub the sidestrips down with 320 grit wet n dry first .Then clean the sidestrips , degrease them with some panel wipe or similar .

Next spray the sidestrips with plastic primer . Let it dry and rub them down with some 1500 grit wet n dry .When you happy that its nice n smooth . Clean them again with panel wipe and /or use a tac cloth for the dust .

Now apply the colour coat .4-6 coats should be adeqaute depending how thick you apply the paint .Leave to dry between coats , around 30 mins shouldbe long enough . If your happy with the finish . Now you can apply the lacquer .If the colour coat is not perfect you can rub them down with some 2000 grit wet n dry .

Apply the lacquer , too thin and it will turn out slightly matt finish , too thick and it can run easily and become a little cloudy .Apply 3 or 4 coats , until your happy with the finish .Leave to dry for a good 48 hours . If the finish isn't perfect , rub the lacquer down slightly until smooth .Then you can polish them up with Meguiars scratch X

A couple of tips . If you have a heated shed it would be better , the paint will dry faster .Keep the sidestrips , clean , dust free and dry at all times when your spraying .Get the paint from a local motor factors place that will mix the paint and put it into aerosols for you .

i swear you and i write this every week or so mate

think we should write a guide at some point when ive got the time so we can just cut and paste a link lol

jamie

Flame Red Delight
I think u should it would be extremely useful to all the members on here i believe but thanks very much for the help.

Allan

mk4 golf gttdi180
no dont do it your self all the materials etc will prob come to the same place go to a body shop ask the and then bargin i work in one and a side strip is prob about 15.00 each then take out you bumper inserts and there probs about 20 probs looking at 70-80 all in inc vat

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

i swear you and i write this every week or so mate

think we should write a guide at some point when ive got the time so we can just cut and paste a link lol

jamie

Lol, you might be right ;)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
no dont do it your self all the materials etc will prob come to the same place go to a body shop ask the and then bargin i work in one and a side strip is prob about 15.00 each then take out you bumper inserts and there probs about 20 probs looking at 70-80 all in inc vat

£70 - £80 to do it yourself ? I doubt that very much .

GOLF GT TDI
well when i have mine done i had :
Side Repeaters removed,
Front and rear valance fitted
Front/rear bumper smoothed and colour coded
side skirts fitted and sprayed
door strips debaged and colour coded,
roof base arial coded
boot delocked and debaged
bonnet debaged and water jets removed
and spray the spoiler

cost me £900

so i guess to get your stuff done would be about half

Last edited:

Nas

Eunos Roadster
mate i got a quote from a couple of body shops to colour code my bumpstrips bumper inserts and spoiler and the all quoted between £220-£350, which i think is a bit pricey, so i popped over to Halfords and have paid about £50 and got some sand paper in different grits, a couple of cans of plastic primer and some laquer, i'l probably get the paint from renault.

The smoothing requires alot of time and patience, i'v been at it almost 4 evenings and am still not happy with the smoothness.

Halfords sell this stuff called filler primer, is this stuff any good for helping in the smoothing of the bumpstrips??

lol

the filler primer from halfrauds will crack at the slightest knock mate, just sand down as much as poss, shouldnt take the long!! then primer, sand, primer again if your not happy, then paint and lacquer.

jamie

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Nas . Go to a local car parts supplier that mixes paint and get it from there . It'll be cheaper than going to renault .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I pay £7.00 for a 400ml can , plus i find the nozzles on the ones i get from the local car parts suppliers are better and give a more even coat .

Flame Red Delight
Thank you everybody for the help i might just have a go at it myself but i hope it doesn't chip easily.I would take it to the paint shop but the only place round here would cost about 200 quid which isn't worth that.

Allan

Last edited:
  megane
try it if it fuks up take it to a bodyshop, its worth a shot, id do it with cans but i also work in a bodyshop,
i did a bike a couple of yrs ago that turned out ok
wen i say bike i mean bmx, lol

mk4 golf gttdi180

also mean it not worth the time and effort but wont cost you anywhere near £400 he had alot of filler work and thats what costs but it will be a better finish if you get it done proffeshionally and if you were to muck up and then went to get it done proffeshionally it would cost more because they would need to undo all your work

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

also mean it not worth the time and effort but wont cost you anywhere near £400 he had alot of filler work and thats what costs but it will be a better finish if you get it done proffeshionally and if you were to muck up and then went to get it done proffeshionally it would cost more because they would need to undo all your work

Its not exactly hard graft is it , spraying and rubbing down a bit of plastic lol . Doesn't take long either . Well worth doin yourself imo , if you just take your time , keep things grease and dust free , and bobs your uncle :)

iv found this thread helpful as its the exact thing i am thinking of doing, my clio is silver i want to do back bumper and front bumper.

has any 1 ever done there side mirrors cos mine are plastic black want to spray them silver

iv found this thread helpful as its the exact thing i am thinking of doing, my clio is silver i want to do back bumper and front bumper.

has any 1 ever done there side mirrors cos mine are plastic black want to spray them silver

send a pm to chrisK , i do remember he did his own on his phase 1 172