ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Converting Vinyl and cassette to MP3

clio 182 black /gold
What software / hardware do you guys use to convert your old music to the PC? I bet one or two of you are wondering what
Vinyl and cassette is :clown::quiet:.
Thanks Lee.

275 Trophy
If you still have something to play the vinyl and cassettes on, then a cheap 2nd hand soundcard off ebay will do the job as long as you can get the signal into the card. I've thrown away soundcards that could do this all day long. If you have onboard sound you may not have the input required however.

Cupra
You could do it with an RCA to 3.5mm jack fed into the mic input of your PC. You would have to play with sound levels to minimise distortion, then you can use any number of free apps to record the input as an MP3.

There are also various USB tape and record decks that can be used, but they'll be a lot more expensive than the simple cable.

RIP Dan
I have bought a USB tape jobby and it was s**t. Kept speeding up and it was really affected by my mobile being in the room, which suggests s**t screening.

Binned it in the end and still haven't found anything decent tbh.

There is a guy on an oldskool forum who will do them for you but we have thousands of old mix tapes and stuff off the radio, I don't want to send them to any old random!!

If you find something post it up mate.

clio 182 black /gold
Well i have my stereo from 1995 with turntable and tape deck. I will try the RCA to 3.5mm jack idea.

Octy VRS
I've done it through the Mic using Audacity and got excellent results. Sod all these USB options.

Bumder With A Buffer
^^^ Likewise. But not using Audacity...cant remember WTF i used maybe something like wavelab??

Just plug it in via the souncard input (might of even been the MIC input and recorded.

RIP Dan
I did try the 3.5mm idea with a long lead but the results were a bit hit and miss....must have been tape quality then. Used Audacity.

I won't get a USB jobby again, it was shizen.