ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant loss normal?...

2002/02 172
I'm getting through about an expansion tanks worth of coolant per month... is this normal?

No sign of water in oil (or vice versa), it's not overheating, no sign of leaks on driveway, doesn't smoke from what I can tell in the mirrors and it seems to be running ok?!!.....

Any common probs to check?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Not normal no, car shouldn't 'use' water at all.

By it's very nature, it can't just dissappear so you have a leak somewhere, the cap's on right..:eek:

Ph1 172 + Combo van
it shouldnt do that mate. you should have to refill it once a year or twice max.

When I fill mine to max it always moves down to mid way between min and max and stays there forever. I'm guessing it's just expansion forces the initial fill up out. That's with the level measured when cold.

Are you sure it's not something similar?

must have a problem somewhere. if it's not leaking internally (might be an idea to have a 'sniffer' test carried out), it must be leaking from an external joint/hose/etc

can be a pain to locate as you could have a tiny pin-prick leak in a hose but best start by having a really good look through the entire system for any sign of leaks