ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant problem

Focus RS, 182 gone
Hi, its been a good while since iv had a clio but i brought one a few months ago as a runabout. I have a problem with the coolant, its stays at the normal temperature and does not seem to overheat but when i switch the engine off after a jorney it over flows and comes out of the cap of the expantion tank, anyone got any ideas as to what the problem could be??

Thanks

Focus RS, 182 gone
well iv replaces the thermostat, which was f00ked, so my heaters now work lol, but still have the same problem. So im now thinking the head gasket is screwed! Oh and BRUN top man mate, do u impress the women with ur spelling and derogatory aswell? ;)

Lots of Alfas
Its a very strange problem. Try bleeding the system completely and refilling, making sure the air is bled out the bleed screw.

Mk2 Ph2 Clio II 1.6 16v
How about checking the expansion bottle cap, a faulty spring on the pressure release valve of th ecap can let coolant overflow, not maintaining the pressure...about 12psi...iirc

Skoda Fabia vRS
^^^

as ive already said, replace the cap, ill ignore the other spelling error, and the fact you dont seem to have finished your little rant at me, if you have it doesnt make sense lol :)

id say screwed thermostat or thermostatic switch

Matty

are theses easy to change as my heaters are not working i was going to get a new matrix, but if its as simple as the therm switch etc

then i will save my self hundreds of pounds and change them!!

by the way my motor is a 1.8 16v clio L reg sex machine

Focus RS, 182 gone
Hmmm, iv tried bleeding the one at the top of the radiator, but its made no difference. Its weird how it empties some of the coolant but leaves about an inch in the bottom of the expansion tank. Think ill try a new cap next and find all the bleed points. If it is the head gasket I fancy having a go at doing it myself, but I aint got that much free time. Iv been quoted £250 and the cars only worth maybe £400 lol, but it saves me a good £30 in fuel by using it for work instead of the focus!

Lots of Alfas
I would have thought you need to bleed it from the bottom radiator hose, which engine is it??

Focus RS, 182 gone
well iv just had some time to bleed it, there is only one bleed screw, and it actually seems ok now :S