ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant temperature sensor issue? But only in 5th gear...

basketballjoe3

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Firstly hello all and apologies for the lengthy first post!

My 182 developed a sudden fault last Friday and I'm wondering if anyone has any clue as to what's going on. If it only involved the engine temp, I'd assume it was a knackered CTS or thermostat as per the numerous threads on here already, so I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar?

Last Friday night, I drove from Stowmarket to Bury St Edmunds (about 10 miles, all dual carriage way) engine was happily up to temperature (never had an issue before) went to overtake a couple of cars at about 75mph in 5th and the car spluttered like it had hit the rev limiter (probably only at 4k rpm so well before the limiter) temperature fell to zero and the car had zero power. So thought I'd slowly shift down through the box and pull over, however as soon as I'd shifted down in to 4th gear and going about 65mph the power came back immediately. Any further attempt at 5th gear resulted in the same issue, loss of power and zero temperature, cue a rather annoying drive with the wife to the cinema at 60mph in 4th (may I add it was the car, not the company, that was annoying, though she wasn't helping matters much).

While in Bury, the car sat for about 3 hours in the car park and had fully cooled down, no puddles underneath, couldn't see any leaks in the engine bay (car park was reasonably well lit) and both the coolant and oil levels were normal. So sat in the car park until the car came up to temperature (needle never reached horizontal however, probably about an 8 o'clock position on the dial) but could now sit at 70mph in 5th the whole way home with no issue, save for the needle moving when the car accelerated/decelerated (though I was tired and I can't be sure if this was actually happening or not).

Once I knew we were nearly home, I booted it between the last few junctions and couple of roundabouts to see what would happen, luckily nothing although the temperature did finally resume it's 'everything's normal' position at horizontal on the dial.

If it wasn't for the issue with 5th gear clouding my judgement I'd say it was worth changing both the CTS and thermostat as the car now has 76k miles, I've owned it since 2008 when it had 11k so I know just how well maintained the damn thing is. But before I do and having read a few things about earth wires between the gear box and chassis, has anyone else ever had this issue?

Replies, ideas and feedback much appreciated!

Cheers,
Joe