ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cooling fan, when does it come on?

J

jakm15

hi, had my clio for about 6 months now and have never heard the fan come on. normally drivin round town and on motorway temp gauge is around 2 or 3 dots below halfway. when im in traffic on a hot day it goes about 1 or maybe 2 over halfway. i have never heard the fan come on. has any one any idea which point on the gauge it comes on and can you hear it. its a 1.2 mk2 ph1 btw

Its good to check it works every now and again, if you have any doubt on a hot day when your back from a drive and the car is warm, just leave it running in the sun, Rev it if you want to be a chav, and it shouldn't take long to come on! Good to know it works so your not going to overheat!!

Clio 172 Phase 1
It's my daily driver so I'm "driving" in traffic jams quite often.
The engine doens't overheat but the fan still doens't come on. It's just not neccesary at the indicated temperatures.

Any1 with same "problem"?

Golf GTD Mk7
same here, had the car running for about half an hour in the sun and no fan. Went to a trackday and no fan. No idea?

Lots of Alfas
The fans on most Renaults are very quiet, They come on when the coolant temp reaches 99c. This is picked up by the coolant temp sensor on the thermostat housing. Then fan then turns off around 96c. The 172 and 182s (except the 172 cup) have 2 speed fans, the fan comes on a low speed at 99c and high speed at 102c. The fans also come at low speed if the air con is turned on.

Arctic Blue FF 182
My Mk2 Ph2 1.2 16v fan works. After long journeys it often comes on once im parked up and engine turned off.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
had a 182 and a 172, dont remember hearing the fan all to often. But on the Vee it was immense

The fans on most Renaults are very quiet, They come on when the coolant temp reaches 99c. This is picked up by the coolant temp sensor on the thermostat housing. Then fan then turns off around 96c. The 172 and 182s (except the 172 cup) have 2 speed fans, the fan comes on a low speed at 99c and high speed at 102c. The fans also come at low speed if the air con is turned on.

that's all interesting to learn. i suppose it's an obvious inference, but the 172 Cup's fan is only single speed?

Golf GTD Mk7
yeah didn't know that. Will give that a go later. I guess if it doesn't come on when i switch the aircon on then there is an issue with it.

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
i've only heard mine once and that was after i replaced all my coolant hoses and had an air lock, the temp needle was near the top before it came on tho

Golf GTD Mk7
tried the ac thing and it works straight away. Not sure if it works at fast speed, but at least if works to some level. Engine noise drowns out the fan noise. Still to see it move when the car has been turned off after a journey.