ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cost of New Cat

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Hi folks,

Quick question really. The motor went in for its MOT today, asked them to swap my Yozza decat and put my original cat back on.

When they saw the cat (it's been in the shed for about 18 months, I never looked at it) they discovered that it's damaged beyond repair (I can't remember what they said/showed me, but it's definitely fucked!) so I now need a new one.

I've replaced my rear shocks, CV boot, 2 new tyres (fitting Goodyears) and a couple of other bits and bobs, and they're charging me £800 all in.

What I wanna know is, how much is a brand new cat for a 182? Last time I saw, I thought Renault were charging thousands for one? Hence why I'm so curious!

Fiesta ST2 MP215
considering you can get a high flow sports cat for £299 right now I'd say that's incorrect, if you want std cheap one use cats2u proper cheap around £90. have you actually parted with £800 for that work though?

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't parted with my money yet, no.

There are some other bits and pieces within that £800, I only mentioned that as I thought Renault's price was higher than £1k, so for the total to be lower, surprised me a little!

Fiesta ST2 MP215
I haven't parted with my money yet, no.

There are some other bits and pieces within that £800, I only mentioned that as I thought Renault's price was higher than £1k, so for the total to be lower, surprised me a little!

What do you need doing? I'd check elsewhere first dude, there is a guy in Bedford on here who seems pretty good I think it's Dan i'd check them out

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Having a lot of bits doing, if I had a choice I'd be giving Fred a ring again, or considering Dan in Bedford, but one of my rear shocks has leaked and I bounce wherever I drive, so I opted to stay local.

Needed bits for it to pass the MOT (they failed the wipers and my rear number-plate light, I'm replacing those myself) such as tyres - they've cost a bit, CV boot, oil + filter change (could've done it myself, but just got it quoted altogether as I'm lazy) and a bit of welding on my exhaust, and a new washer pump as I suspect mine is on the way out. To be perfectly honest I've neglected the car of late, I haven't washed it for over a year for instance, so was expecting to spend a bit to get it righted!

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Lowe the rear shocks being urgent, that issue taught me to powerslide lol

Seriously go to Dan or Fred, must be cheaper that sounds like a lot to me.

Surprised at how cheap those 172 cats are actually. Wonder how long they'd actually last. Had a mate go through three non genuine items within 6 months, no idea how.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Overrun map from Fastchip probably, but like the OP says he's decatted so buying a cheap gippo one for one day a year is the way forward.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Here is the part number and price of a OE Clio 182 CAT.

I bought mine from the forum for £40.00 second hand.

182CAT.gif

FF 182
I have just bought a cat from cats2u, I think it was £115 delivered. Renault quoted me £2300!!!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Renault annoy me with some of there UK pricing - This is another example of why

When my car went back to renault for warranty issues. They said the cat had collapsed and was causing the rattle i had.

They refused to replace the cat (which i can understand as its not covered by warranty) but as a good will gesture they said if i can find an aftermarket one for upto 1k and get it fitted,then show them the receipt. They will reinburse me the money.

So i ordered a full manifold back stainless system with sports cat,gave them the purchase and fitting receipts manager looked at them and wrote me a cheque!!

Combined description on the receipt and the only bit that made sense to him was the word cat.:)

oh and the rattle turned out to be a heat shield and the original cat was fine.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
£2600, that's incredible!

Well, I got my cat sorted, they gave me the old one back, they told me it's worth a bit of money if I take it to a scrappy?

I'm not sure it's irreparable though, it's only a little piece of metal that's sheared off. The cat is rusty as hell though, from being stored in my shed.

Paid £160 for the new one, more than I would've paid had I bought it online, but still not too bad!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Here is the part number and price of a OE Clio 182 CAT.

I bought mine from the forum for £40.00 second hand.

182CAT.gif

That doesn't look like my cat?

I paid £85 for with with <10k miles on - only a r****d would buy a new one?

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member

Yeah, when he told me I needed a new one I immediately started laughing, thinking he was going to tell me he was getting genuine Renault, I was going to swiftly put him right. f**k paying £2.6k!

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many

Its a generic picture used on the Renault Parts site. The part number is correct and the price has slightly increased.
​The reason i know its correct as its my car details that i used to look it up and i have a 182.