ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crank angle sensor longevity

Clio 182 ff
3 days after buying my 182 it wouldn't start the rac came out and cleaned the crank angle sensor it then started and told me to replace it soon which I did. Now 3 months later I had the same issue after parking up this afternoon. I removed the sensor to find it was filthy with dirt after cleaning it started perfectly. Is this a know issue with these ? Thanks

172 Ph1
I’ve had my Clio 172 , 11 years and the sensor hasn’t failed in that time .
It’ll more than likely be the wiring plug in the loom , there is a Renault replacement plug and sensor you can buy to overcome this issue , the terminals are gold plated I think .

Clio 182 ff
I’ve had my Clio 172 , 11 years and the sensor hasn’t failed in that time .
It’ll more than likely be the wiring plug in the loom , there is a Renault replacement plug and sensor you can buy to overcome this issue , the terminals are gold plated I think .
Oh I'll have to look into getting that then thanks

PH2 172
I removed the sensor to find it was filthy with dirt after cleaning it started perfectly. s

What kind of dirt, and where`s it coming from is what you should be asking?

[QUOTE="barnesautos, post: 11711633, member: 46251"There is a Renault replacement plug and sensor you can buy to overcome this issue , the terminals are gold plated I think .[/QUOTE]

That`s what they tell you to justify the price !???

Clio 182 ff
What kind of dirt, and where`s it coming from is what you should be asking?

[QUOTE="barnesautos, post: 11711633, member: 46251"There is a Renault replacement plug and sensor you can buy to overcome this issue , the terminals are gold plated I think .

That`s what they tell you to justify the price !???[/QUOTE]
Yes it just looked like dry dirt build up ect not oil or another fluid

Clio 197
Dirty crank sensors are a known issue with 197s as they get old and the clutch wears. IIRC on the 197 the bellhousing isn't completely watertight, perhaps the same issue on the 1*2s?

Clio 182 ff
Dirty crank sensors are a known issue with 197s as they get old and the clutch wears. IIRC on the 197 the bellhousing isn't completely watertight, perhaps the same issue on the 1*2s?
Almost was like brake dust on the sensor metal bit but the other bits of sensor were clean

Clio 197
Almost was like brake dust on the sensor metal bit but the other bits of sensor were clean
Yeap, exactly the same in my case. I just cleaned the sensor with brake cleaner. I have to admit is it odd that the same issue was experienced days later. Are either of your front calipers sticking?

Clio 182 ff
Yeap, exactly the same in my case. I just cleaned the sensor with brake cleaner. I have to admit is it odd that the same issue was experienced days later. Are either of your front calipers sticking?
It was 3 months later so fingera crossed it's only a build up. Brakes are normal ,no sticking

dan's cast offs.
it's the connections on the plug. people think cleaning the plug sorts the issue out but it's the fact it's unplugged and plugged back in that sorts it out, even though majority of the time it's temporary.

Clio 182 ff
it's the connections on the plug. people think cleaning the plug sorts the issue out but it's the fact it's unplugged and plugged back in that sorts it out, even though majority of the time it's temporary.
In my case I didn't unplug I just unbolted and cleaned the end but yes the motion of removing the plug gets rid of lots of dirt off the contacts