ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Creak under accel/deccel in 1st and 2nd!?

330 Ci
I've recently started to notice a creak (similar to a loose seat/subframe) when accelerating and decelerating.

Now i'm not talking about mashing the pedal into the floor and stamping on the brake, i mean gentle acceleration to 10mph-ish then lifting off the accelerator. On Accel and lift off i can hear a creak both times (it isn't the drivers seat - triple checked that, but does sound like it). It does it in 1st and 2nd then after that the engine noise gets too loud to hear it.

The sound appears to be coming from either the centre console/gearknob area or the passengers footwell...

Could it be: Worn dog-bone gearbox linkage? Worn Suspension top mounts? that are flexing when the cars initially put in motion? (I'm farily certain its not engine mounts!)

I'm alittle stumped!

The cars only done 52k, has been very well looked after and is pretty much standard!

Last edited:
  330 Ci
Anyone shed any light on this??

engine mount seams fine, as do suspension top mounts.

What're the signs of worn dog-bone linkage bushes??

Last edited:
  Clio Sport 182
Mine was exactly the same. Just had my car up on the ramps yesterday whilst changing the auxy belts. All of the suspension seemed fine but I lubricated all of the bushes and joints and noise has now gone. i think it's creaking bushes when they get a good soaking then dry out. Bit of wd40 on all the bushes around the front suspension should sort it. :)

330 Ci
* * * Solved the problem * * *

Turns out that both of the upper gearbox locating nuts (under the battery) had worked loose allowing the gearbox to move slightly (only noticeable at low speeds under accel & lift off).

Luckily I found it before any damage occured to the threads on the bolts! Nipped the nuts up, Loctited them and the creak's gone! :D

Last edited: