ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Custom built Baseunit?

Audi S1
Basically I want to spec my own PC and for them to build it...

I googled it and it came up with a loads, but have any of you lot done it ?

Who would you reccommend :)

Tesla MP3 2021
Sure, if you like everything overpriced ;)

Indeed. I stupidly thought about getting them to build me a system before I built my new one. Looking back it was probably the worst idea I have ever had.

If you have the ability to build one yourself do it!

Audi S1
Im pretty good using PCs, my job is desktop support so I no my way around one, so its worth actaully building it yourself..

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
if you want a decent computer don't waste your time with an AMD CPU.

ebuyer are good for parts, overclockers stock good stuff but as said can be £££

Mégane RS
i build pc's but have found now that its actually cheaper to go and buy one unless your gaming that is

Megane
i build pc's but have found now that its actually cheaper to go and buy one unless your gaming that is

Simply because the parts used are rubbish, especially in that Comet machine.

Where is the money saved?

Cheap plastic cases
Cheap memory
Cheap motherboards
Inadequate cooling in the form of fans and heatsinks
Trial softwares installed
Shocking video cards in most cases.
In some cases even hard drives are poor brands but this isn't that big an issue anymore.

I have always found HP and Dell to be good for people not wanting to build but the rest of the rubbish: Acer, Packard Bell, etc are all guaranteed to fall to bits

BMW E46 330i Touring
I used ebuyer to buy all my parts from, but have always found Overclockers to be a great source of advice and information.

Very easy too - loads of guides on t'internet. Youtube is always good for a step-by-step guide through a basic build, but you'll obviously need another source for the Tube when you're building!

Better than yours. C*nt.
If your job is Desktop Support it doesn't necessarily mean you have sufficient understanding to be able to put a meaningful machine together - I know people in desktop support who think that Dell/HP/A.N.Other brand 'optimise' their systems and it makes them faster than someone building a computer out of similar stuff...

Not a Clio
If your job is Desktop Support it doesn't necessarily mean you have sufficient understanding to be able to put a meaningful machine together - I know people in desktop support who think that Dell/HP/A.N.Other brand 'optimise' their systems and it makes them faster than someone building a computer out of similar stuff...

Having worked in a support environment I know that the person you're calling for support may in fact know less than you and be referring to info sheets or a computerised support system. It's shocking really.

Building pc's is a piece of piss. For a novice it just looks scary.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Having worked in a support environment I know that the person you're calling for support may in fact know less than you and be referring to info sheets or a computerised support system. It's shocking really.

Erm, can be, but also if you're not sure of the technologies and differences then you can struggle getting a list of kit together that works and compliments each other.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
ebuyer and overclockers for me, ebuyer is cheap but overclockers sometimes have products that aren't available elsewhere.

Not a Clio
Overclockers all the time for me. Being a loyal forum member gives you free shipping on anything you order and returns are painless.

182FF with cup packs

Best one i ever saw was the head of NT for europe at my last company, he somehow managed to install a DIMM backwards. Can't remember which type it was, but the important thing being it had an off-center cutout, so in theory it should have been impossible for him to put it in backwards.

He managed it somehow...

I suspect through brute force and ignorance. :S

DCi
Erm, can be, but also if you're not sure of the technologies and differences then you can struggle getting a list of kit together that works and compliments each other.
yeah i would say the hardest part for a novice is (For example) getting a mobo and cpu with the same socket. (unless you buy a bundle ;) ) and then when you start talking about PCI-E or AGP and so on...

building is fairly straightforward. looking at an empty motherboard makes it a little bit less daunting i suppose.

Shed.
Basically I want to spec my own PC and for them to build it...

I googled it and it came up with a loads, but have any of you lot done it ?

Who would you reccommend :)

yes loads of us have done it. Trust me, its like lego ive been doing it sine i was about 15.

I wanted to see if i could get something very simular to this

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/520080/ACER-ASX3200-9100

People always say building your own PC is cheaper...

Not always no, but you get what you want. Buy one from dell and youll get a pc with s**t components compared to a good custom built one, although dell are very very good and im not slagging them off.