ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cutting springs

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If I was to cut my springs, can I do it in Situ?

Like, jack the car up, remove the wheel, cut the springs, remove the bit I don't want, put back together??

This inspired me....

skodiny7.gif

http://www.rat-look.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1964

Its pretty safe IIRC, You might loose a finger or two in the process but for the looks its worth it.

P.s. Wear goggles.

EDIT: im not sure if your serious now remebering the rat car you have? in my opinion a bad idea !

Did this to my Polo 6n and the springs didn't fit in the locators properly, MOT fail and it was bouncy as hell. You could hear the spring moving freely when you went over any form of bump.

Cutting a compressed spring FTL, Even with the car jacked up theres still alot of force in them.

Go for it.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm an optician. Call me when you take an eye out. Won't be able to do f**k all about it, but would like a pic.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Just take them off?!

Would be better just riding on the bumpstops to be honest though.

Just go steady with it, I would cut almost through the spring, then get a long chisel and big hammer and just t**t it whilst being away from the arch as much as possible. Thinking about it I actually very much doubt doing it that way would hurt you, but with the grinder it will more than likely shatter the disc and throw it out of your hand breaking fingers/wrist etc.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yes Huggy bear.

Yes. Dont cut it while its compressed.

Then drill holes in the shocker cup and jubilee the spring to the cup.

Rigged up!

Yeah that was the plan. My mate was on about doing exactly that. I was just trying to cut corners tbh.

disk cutters are dangerous, compressed springs are dangerous, put the two together and you have a very good chance of doing something very nasty to someone.

When you cut them, make sure the cut is in line with where the spring originally ends. Then it will (almost) sit in the cup properly.

If you gonna do it, may aswell do it right ;)

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
If this was anyone else asking they'd of been ripped to shreds lol.
Just play it safe matey, I'd take them off before any cutting.

audi a6 3.0tdi
Is cutting springs "right" even possible? lol!

Best of luck with this dan, full pics of progress and "work" going on needed tbh.

Not really any different to buying these stupid custom 100mm springs they end up too short for dampers as well so you may as well just save yourself a fortune.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Get some spring clamps on the top bit, tighten em right up so the bottom of the spring is loose then cut the bottom bit off, might even G clamp them up, ghetto style

Charged Superleggera
what ever you do dont cut them in situ. they are under alot of compression and will bounce at you. take the spring out then cut it.