ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

D3?

Fiat Panda 100hp
Got my 21st coming up in January, and thinking about getting the Nikon D3. It's a big leap from my D40, but I want to start doing some venues and weddings etc. Couple the D3 with a nifty fifty and I should be onto a winner.

Your thoughts? Should I do it or get a D8/90 and get some amazing glass?

Cupra
The biggest leap possible to make!

The D3 is the mother of all cameras but you would be better off getting something cheaper and some good glass to go with it IMHO.

D700 if you really want full frame or else the D90/ D300 would also be more than sufficient.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
yeh i was gonna say the same thing, its a HUGE leap and unless you have good glass you wont make the most of it...

d700 would prob be better its the same camera except its not as fast fps as the d3.... plus its smaller if u want a pro body look at second hand d2xs... they very cheap recently....

I would also say D700 if you want full frame. Or get a D90 and some serious glass and you will be just fine for weddings and venues.

Even the D40/D60 can do venues and weddings with the right glass, just check flickr for examples!

But with the D700 & D90 you open yourself up to a lot more fast primes!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
massive leap as said, and you'll need more than a 50mm to do weddings. Its a shed load of money for the body and probably the same again for decent glass.

If you can justify spending the best part of £5k on camera equipment or get jobs which will pay for it, then do it!

Fiat Panda 100hp
Yeah I know I need more than 50mm lol. Was planning on 50mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8, and hopefully a 17-55 2.8. Last one depends how much money I have as my mums doubling it for my birthday.

Think I'll go with the D700. I can always get a hand grip if I was the bigger body.

hate to brake it too you but you wont want to use a nikon 17-55 2.8 on a d3 as it will limit to 5mp due to the crop factor or it will only be usable for a small part or the zoom range

Last edited:
mmm d700/d3 + Nikon AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, I'd switch systems in an instant.

You'll need the Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED not the 17-55 as its a G lens as said.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
yep dx lens will limit the D700, making it pretty pointless buying one if thats what your going to stick in front of it.

id suggest finding out what equipment does what before splashing the cash ;)

all the gear and something about a deer with no eyes :p

Hmmm, D90 or D300 would seem the more logical choice, and they offer more than enough quality for part-time work. Add some cracking glass to those and I would think you would be better off. Personally if I had a few grand going and was interested in weddings, I would buy some fast glass, a spare body (maybe a D200 or D80 if I was buying a D300 or D90) and maybe even sign up for a good weekend course, guy at work did one in Bournemouth, they hire a church, get models in and everything, pretty intense stuff.

Your costs would be intergalactic with a D3, you would need compatible lens (and high end ones at that, the sensor will highlight any issues with any remotely sub-standard lens.), if you are really keen on going down that road the D700 would be less risky imo.

Fiat Panda 100hp
id suggest finding out what equipment does what before splashing the cash ;)

all the gear and something about a deer with no eyes :p

I'm thinking, I wont be getting the gear till late January ;) thinking is the 1st process to buying.

Fiat Panda 100hp
Hmmm, D90 or D300 would seem the more logical choice, and they offer more than enough quality for part-time work. Add some cracking glass to those and I would think you would be better off. Personally if I had a few grand going and was interested in weddings, I would buy some fast glass, a spare body (maybe a D200 or D80 if I was buying a D300 or D90) and maybe even sign up for a good weekend course, guy at work did one in Bournemouth, they hire a church, get models in and everything, pretty intense stuff.

Your costs would be intergalactic with a D3, you would need compatible lens (and high end ones at that, the sensor will highlight any issues with any remotely sub-standard lens.), if you are really keen on going down that road the D700 would be less risky imo.

That corse sounds really good. I have a few weddings lined up where I'm going as the photographers assistant, hopefully get a few more of these then I'll be brave enough to do one myself if the opportunity arises.