ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Disconnecting brake pedal

A6 Avant BiTdi, Z4MR
I've had a nightmare today and feel like I've broken some ribs contorting myself into the footwell trying to fit a replacement clutch linkage rod on my 172 Cup after the other one popped off after a day at Cadwell.

I have tried to do this in situ, removing the clutch cable mechanism so I can fit that end whilst on the bench, refit, and then try to push the other end onto the ball on the brake pedal whilst in situ. I couldn't initially get it to push on, and now I think I have damaged the new link as once I eventually got it pushed on, it is lose, and didn't click on as it should, Despite an hour of trying I cant get the circlip in the tiny hole to hold it on, so had to admit defeat for now and order another one.

All the video tutorials show this being fitted on the bench with the pedal box removed, so have decided to go down that route.

It looks pretty straightforward to do, peel back carpet/sound deadening and remove the various nuts holding on, having first removed the electronic accelerator pedal.

What I cant figure out though is how to remove the clip that holds the fork from the servo onto the brake pedal. Any one have any ideas?

2024-03-17_21-45-25_135.jpeg

Anyone know how that is removed?

A6 Avant BiTdi, Z4MR
Sorry, probably not explaining it so well. When you push the socket onto the ball, it takes some force, then suddenly it 'pops' on. That was what I meant with the click. One of mine on the new linkage now takes no force to push on, so is lose, which I could probably live with 'IF' I could get the clip on, but I can't, hence looking at removing the pedal box, and at that stage I will fit another new one, so everything is tight with or without the retaining clip.

Just after anyone's experience of removing the clip in the photo - not sure if it just pulls off, or need to lever it upwards, so a new one is needed on refitting, which would allow the brake pedal to be detached from the servo bracket/forks.

Found a picture of one removed

IMG_6368-scaled-e1586468374740.jpg

It looks like there may be 4 nuts holding the pedal box to the bulkhead

Capture.JPG

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Looking at the clip, it looks like the top part of the clip pushes against the collar of the bolt to stop it sliding off.

So you'd just need to prize forward the top part of the clip over the bolt head so it's clear, then pull down on the clip and then forward. Long nose pliers perhaps?

Hard to put in words really.

IMG_6368-scaled-e1586468374740.jpg

A6 Avant BiTdi, Z4MR
Thanks, that is really helpful. Thinking I'd probably sprain the clip removing it, and as you don't want the pin to drop out of the brake pedal, I have ordered a new one to fit on replacement.

Once my body stops aching from this weekends contortion efforts, I will have a go at this, and then extracting the pedal box, for what hopefully will be the much easier task of fitting the link on the bench - just like the video above. Thats the dream anyway!

A6 Avant BiTdi, Z4MR
Just wrapping this up, the clip does come off as suggested, lever the front section up, and it slides off.

I fitted a new one on re-assembly, but probably not required, no levering required, it just slides on, and clicks once past the lever up tab.

Pulling the pedal box out made doing the clutch linkage much easier. You could probably avoid that by removing the clutch pedal and the clutch cable assembly, then fitting the link on the bench between the 2. Hopefully there won't be a next time!