ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

D3000 Macro?

Im still new to the photography world, I'm getting some good pics, I feel my standard 18-55 is limiting me, Its probably mostly me with lack of skill,

But beyond that i need to take close up pictures of rings and jewellery, Also with the hobby side of it and wanting to take some macro pics im now looking for a macro lens.

What is recommended, But also cheap?

I wouldn't be to bothered about auto focus if it bought the price down.

Thanks for the reply Revels,

I still havent had time to read into fixed lenses and what not, what advantages does this give you?

And would i still be able to focus on close ups, i.e. rings, not to fussed about macro quality.

I cant focus on things about 5cm away from the camera atm, and thats no good to me.

Cupra
ukskew on here got some screw on close up filters that helped him get some great shots. It might be worth looking into as a cheap alternative to a dedicated macro lens.

Ive got the cheap Hong Kong close up filters, 2, 4, 8 and 10.

I cannot get the hang of them, Ive tried them all and different combinations (strongest closest to lens)

And manual focus whatever close up filter and which ever distance i try is still s**t really, may have another try later...

But i think i just need a fixed lens? capable of doing decent close ups?

Morning chaps...

So... After some thought id like a prime lens... I've seen some pictures taken by a fixed focal and they are impressive...

Then again, I wouldn't mind having the flexibility of a 55-200mm? but all that would achieve over my 18-55 is more zoom obviously and not focus effect?

I want the prime for the images it creates, but also the zoom would be handy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00005LEN4/?tag=cliospnet01-21

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000O161X0/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Will the prime be able to focus on close up subjects? i.e. jewellery..

I guess i need to do more research...

The 55-200 will actually help you get close ups' of the jewelery, as you can stand back and zoom right in without having to worry ability focusing distances of the lens.

On the prime note, the 50mm F1.8 will require manual focus. If you want AF you need the 50mm f1.4 AF-S of 35mm f1.8 AF-S. But if wanting to do extreme close ups, these are not ideal due to the focusing distance.

Cheers JJ, Just the information i needed,

Thinking about the 55-200 between the prime im kind of stumped, Id like more zoom but fixed seems to give good effects to images

The 2 AF lenses you've quoted are a bit higher up on what i want to spend at the moment, So i think ill go for the Nikon 50mm F1.8D and see where it gets me.

RS Megane DCi 175
The 35mm AFS is a cracking lens btw - very fast, and I've been able to get some decent macro shots with it too (using extension tubes though).
Not sure on up to the minute prices, but the 35mm was quite cheap when I bought mine. Circa £120 IIRC?

The 50mm 1.8D is a great lens too. Manual focus is not too bad on it! Was one of the first ever lenses I used on my D40! Just look for the green dot in the viewfinder as that will help you with the focus.

Ive had my dslr for a few months now, never really use auto focus, but yeah it is handy for some pics...

I'm reading up more about extension tubes now,

JJ, what do you mean by not too bad? are some hard to focus ..or?

Inferno 182 CUP
ive heard great things about a raynox dcr250

and alot of pros say its great for a cheap job £35 .. and they said the best lens to use it with .. is the 18-55!!!!!

Well lets say at f5.6 or something, the area of focus is quite large. So if you imagine you're focusing on a ruler. If you intend to focus on 10cm and you miss it a bit, it doesn't really matter as whole area around it will be in focus. From probably 7cm all the way up to 13cm will be in focus.

Whereas if you're at f1.8 the focus area is very small, so there's very little room for error. Anything past say 11cm will be out of focus. So you need to be very precise.

ive heard great things about a raynox dcr250

and alot of pros say its great for a cheap job £35 .. and they said the best lens to use it with .. is the 18-55!!!!!

Sounds interesting, im looking into it... could end up with one of these if the reviews are god as well as a prime lense... probably see how i get on with the fixed first.

Well lets say at f5.6 or something, the area of focus is quite large. So if you imagine you're focusing on a ruler. If you intend to focus on 10cm and you miss it a bit, it doesn't really matter as whole area around it will be in focus. From probably 7cm all the way up to 13cm will be in focus.

Whereas if you're at f1.8 the focus area is very small, so there's very little room for error. Anything past say 11cm will be out of focus. So you need to be very precise.

Ah i get you now, cheers for explaining..

Im going to have to do a lot more reading about focusing at what not, im just learning by using the camera at the moment, which has got me so far...

Looking forward to a new lens though and possibly this raynox for the 18-55?

RS Megane DCi 175
Ive had my dslr for a few months now, never really use auto focus, but yeah it is handy for some pics...

You don't use AF? Don't get me wrong, learning to manual focus is a valuable skill to have - but really I'd be learning other things well before having to concern myself with manually focussing shots as well! i.e. ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed, lighting etc.
Really when at early stages the only time you really need to concern yourself with manually focussing is when you're doing macro stuff. You might find the AF searches a lot, so it's easier to switch to manual.

Well yeah, i use both... i did a small photography course at college so im not toooo bad, as i say im still learning the little extras.. think its time for a new lens now though to further me... i say ive had my dslr for a few months but overall including college ive probably used dlsr's now for a year

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guysampson/ .. comments welcome