ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

D40 Lens for Sport

I may be starting to do a few horse shows this year and need to get some good action shots. My 18-200 took some excellent shots this weekend (which will upload later) but ideally I need a lens I can use just for sport, will not be needed for anything else.

Here is where the trouble starts....

Its needs to be AFS/HSM etc.
It needs to have a fairly decent zoom length as I am not sure how close I will always be able to get.
It can be a fixed focal length if the length is long enough.
Needs to be £300 or less!

I am probably looking for something that does not exist!!

Yeah - i though i might be!!

Might just try to get the best out of my 18-200 and get a 10-20 or something as I will be able to get very close to the jumps at some events.

May well do - the shots from your 10-20 are excellent!

Whats the Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM like?

Last edited:
Was 200 long enough? If your 18-200 is doing a good enough job I'd get another fun lens like the 10-20.

If you need faster etc the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM is just outside you budget if 150 is long enough. Otherwise is probably worth saving for a 70-200 f/2.8 of some sort + 1.4x TC.

Cheers for the advice - just uploading my pics from the Cross Country Horse event now, soon as they are done opinions on pics and lens would be great.

I think the 10-20 may well be the next option!!