ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What am I doing wrong?

bqf

RS200 Clio
Hi folks
First post!

Bought my son a RS200 Clio, 2010, 87k miles almost a year ago now. It's red, great condition, etc etc.

Anyway, He's shuffled off to uni and now wants to sell it. It has four new Pilot Sport 5 tyres, we gave it a proper clean, pictures looked great (I thought).

Started it for almost what we paid for - £6,200. Bit optimistic I thought. no calls after 3 weeks. Dropped it to £5799, STILL no calls. It's on the Trader and Pistonheads.

I really need to shift it for space, so tried it on CarWow. They suggested a reserve of £4,250, I thought it'd be a no-hassle sale. One offer from some tinpot dealer of £3,000!!

Never had this much trouble shifting a car. Are they REALLY hard to sell? I thought maybe £5799 was a good price, someone will come and look, and we could haggle around the £5,600 mark. Am I just being daft?

bqf

RS200 Clio
IMG_3454.jpeg
IMG_3456.jpeg
IMG_3459.jpeg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Would have thought as we move into summer people will start looking to pick up a hot hatch for abit of fun, should shift if you wait a little.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Couple of things stand out to me, hope it helps:

1. Its clearly modified (black badges, splitter & spacers), but no mention of it in the advert. I instantly assume there are other things - both good & bad - that you arent mentioning.
2. No Recaros, Speedlines or Cup spoiler, id expect one if not all at that price point.
3. Grey bumpers instead of black always seem to be less in demand for some reason
4. You mention full service history, perhaps list it out, when was the cambelt last done? Have the swivel hubs been done?

Maybe put an advert on here/clio197.net, can put loads more info in the advert than on PIstonheads, for exmaple:
https://cliosport.net/threads/sold-clio-197-cup-with-recaros-speedlines-cup-spoiler-£3-995.844779/

I'd expect more interest sub £5k tbh.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I'd have been doing everything possible to take it a car that nice to uni with me! At least after 1st year.
Similar sentiment to the above, date/mileage of last cambelt and where it was done is always important on these. Ditch the black badges and it'll go IMO.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
As above, if it looks at all modified, even if it's only the odd cosmetic bit, people will not want to pay as much for it compared to a completely standard car. Especially on somewhere like autotrader.

Suzuki Jimny
Splitter was a factory option! Anyway, all advice gratefully received
100% wasn’t.

I’d be put off by you saying you’re selling it for your son. Why doesn’t he advertise it? Always makes me nervous

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Get it advertised on the various Clio Facebook groups including ours. There’s a large target audience on there.
This x a million.

In my experience, for something not ordinary, autotrader is a proper waste of money. eBay and Facebook are best.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Couple of things stand out to me, hope it helps:

1. Its clearly modified (black badges, splitter & spacers), but no mention of it in the advert. I instantly assume there are other things - both good & bad - that you arent mentioning.
2. No Recaros, Speedlines or Cup spoiler, id expect one if not all at that price point.
3. Grey bumpers instead of black always seem to be less in demand for some reason
4. You mention full service history, perhaps list it out, when was the cambelt last done? Have the swivel hubs been done?

Maybe put an advert on here/clio197.net, can put loads more info in the advert than on PIstonheads, for exmaple:
https://cliosport.net/threads/sold-clio-197-cup-with-recaros-speedlines-cup-spoiler-£3-995.844779/

I'd expect more interest sub £5k tbh.
They clearly aren't - but they passively look like they have been sun-bleached and faded compared to black.

Similar to those god-awful rear quarter slabs that Audi stuck on their early Q2s.