ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Damaged ipad. Options please.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
So my ipad is fucked thanks to my boy spilling orange squash all over it.

When I picked it out of the puddle of squash it was literally pouring out of the headphone socket. It obviously now won't turn on.

I contacted my insurance company as I have accidental damage cover and they said I should get it repaired as I have a £150 excess on the cover.

I have an appointment booked with the Genius Bar at my local apple store on Saturday but in the meantime does anyone think it will be repairable for under £150? Bearing on mind it has been bathed in a sugary drink?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
How old is the iPad.

Apple should offer something, usually a swap for a refurb, but not sure how much it will cost. If it's an iPad 2 it might be cheaper to buy a used one.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Have a hunt around local places who repair IPads and IPhones. Sure someone will do it, just depends on how fooked it is inside.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
To be honest I'm hoping that apple say its not repairable. That way I can get the insurance to pay for a new one. It seems that damaged iPads sell on eBay for around £100. That way a new one costs me £50.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Apple should offer something, usually a swap for a refurb

Why should they though? It's damaged, not faulty. That's like Renault offering you a new car after you have crashed your 172.

Unless of course you meant he would have to pay for it? If so then please ignore my comment!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Why should they though? It's damaged, not faulty. That's like Renault offering you a new car after you have crashed your 172.

Unless of course you meant he would have to pay for it? If so then please ignore my comment!

Yes, I meant they normally offer a refurbished replacement for a fee if it's your fault, not something for free lol

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Wife got her iphone 4S replaced on the spot at Apple Bluewater for £100 after she dropped hers in the sink just before xmas.

FF Clio 182
If you broke it then they are no way obligated to give you a new one, you broke it so its your problem. Being apple they may do something as a gesture of good will but your best bet is your insurance. Like somebody said remember they're is a big difference between broken and faulty.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
If you broke it then they are no way obligated to give you a new one, you broke it so its your problem. Being apple they may do something as a gesture of good will but your best bet is your insurance. Like somebody said remember they're is a big difference between broken and faulty.

To be fair I haven't once mentioned apple giving me a replacement and furthermore I don't expect to get a good will gesture. My point is that my insurance company have told me to see if its repairable for less than £150 as that's what my excess is. Like I've already said I hope that apple say its beyond repair so that I can claim on my house insurance.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Wont insurance go up next year. Happened with my parents a few years back. Dependant on how much I can't really see the point in going through insurance.

OBV if it's a 64gb Retina then it'll be worth it.

FF Clio 182
Or you just smash it then claim of the insurance ? My insurance covers loss but not accidental damage, all you do if you break it is tell them you lost it. :)

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Wont insurance go up next year. Happened with my parents a few years back. Dependant on how much I can't really see the point in going through insurance.

OBV if it's a 64gb Retina then it'll be worth it.

To be honest home insurance is so bloody cheap anyway. I'm sure if it goes up a quick visit to a price comparison site will bring the premium down to what we paid this year.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Bet that's the most expensive drink you've ever made your kid!

It depends, you can try it out and it will possibly work again, however the downside, the sugar inside will slowly corrode the components, and kaput.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Well it's either that or the insurance saying "sorry your not covered for that, cya" and then having to go out and buying a new one.

Insurance have already confirmed that I'm covered. I have accidental cover as part of my policy (read above)

And to be honest I'd rather go out and buy a new one than commit fraud. Hardly worth risking a 35k a year job for the sake of £400 iPad. Apart from the fact that its just plain and simply wrong.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Bet that's the most expensive drink you've ever made your kid!

It depends, you can try it out and it will possibly work again, however the downside, the sugar inside will slowly corrode the components, and kaput.

Yeah I wasn't best pleased! lol

I did google it and from what I could tell if it had just been water it could quite possibly of been fairly easily sorted. Sugary drink a different kettle of fish.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
To be honest home insurance is so bloody cheap anyway. I'm sure if it goes up a quick visit to a price comparison site will bring the premium down to what we paid this year.

Ah is it? Yeh makes sense if it is cheap.

Lol at asking a copper to commit fraud.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Ah is it? Yeh makes sense if it is cheap.

Lol at asking a copper to commit fraud.

Lol I'm guessing he didn't realise :)

We only have contents insurance and I think it's something ridiculous like £10 a month with accidental damage cover.

Bux

Golf GTD
My mate dropped his iPhone 5 in the toilet the other week and it wouldn't turn on. He left it to dry for a couple days and now it works again with no problems. Maybe your iPad will work again when it dries out? I know it's a long shot but it's possible

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
There are so many laptop and mobile phone repair places round where you work, go see one of them while your colleague pops into greggs ;)

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Try sticking it in rice for a day. Might work, if not you tried.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
To be honest it a really happened about a week ago. It must be bone dry by now as I put in the airing cupboard. I think the fact it was squash rather than just plain water has fucked it tbh

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Just FYI Ron, my smashed screen 16gb wifi only iPad 3 was £250 swapsies at apple.

Yeah f**k that ill be putting it through the insurance if that's the case. Like I say I'll get £100+ for my damaged one which will near enough cover the insurance excess.

Can't help but I did LOL at the chap suggesting committing fraud to a copper.

Yeah it made me chuckle too ;)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Best option probably. As long as it doesn't increase your premium too much.

i ended up buying a 3G one off eBay and giving the broken one to my boy to watch mario on YouTube lol

Would the insurance not take your old one from you though?

I claimed my house insurance when I dropped my laptop and smashed the screen, they came and delivered a new one and took the old one away as technically they own the old laptop after they had paid out.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Would the insurance not take your old one from you though?

I claimed my house insurance when I dropped my laptop and smashed the screen, they came and delivered a new one and took the old one away as technically they own the old laptop after they had paid out.

I honestly don't know? Ill let you know once I've been to apple on Saturday.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Not that anyone is really interested but I thought I'd update this thread following my Genius Bar appointment.

As I suspected the genius told me that an iPad with liquid damage (water, juice or otherwise) is not reparable.

A replacement iPad from apple is £200. Ill speak to the insurance company and they can stump up 50 sterlings and ill have to pay the other 150.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Nah it's an exchange with apple. They do a special price for exchanges on damaged apple products even if they are out of warranty.

Pretty good really. A refurb'd iPad 2 3G goes for £350 on the apple website!