ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dave, Topgear, Mark 1 v Mark 2, regrets

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
**WARNING**

rambling likely in this post

**WARNING**

please bear with me on this post, believe me there is a point to it.

it started off tonight, i caught an advert earlier on this week telling me that the new channel on digital called Dave was actually screening this series of topgear at 7pm on sundays, great i thought, just more topgear, never enough anyways.....to my delight when i turned this on the topgear on was infact the very first in this series, the one with the W12 Golf and then the 'the best driving road', with the aston, lambo and porsche.

and this is were it begins. There will probably be some of you reading this that think how can he relate the 2 but some others should hopefully understand. Whilst watching the 'the best driving road' section, more specifically the start when they reviewed and introduced the cars did i start to think about my old car. Then we they started out on the roads and started to through the cars about did i understand how they were feeling, the fun they were having, and at this point i realised how much i missed and wanted my old car back.*

*for those newbie's or people that didn't previously know i owned a mark 1 1.8 16v (a valver).

so some of you may now be thinking how can he compare the thousand pound supercars with this little french (sh*tbox) hot hatch, well its the feelings, the fun, the smiles, the rawness........no wieght, no toys (as such)...etc etc.....

this then leads me on to my second point, with watching this part of the show and realising that i missed the thrill, the fun factor and noise of my old car that i infact had done the wrong thing in selling it for a mark 2.

so the mark 1 v mark 2 debate (in my view)
at the time i sold the mark 1 for very good money, too much i think maybe but thats why i sold it...lol..and inline was the next car i wanted, a mark 2 phase 1 172, always liked the looks of them (much better than the phase 2's) and i fancied a bit more power. initially it took a bit of getting use to, and the power was nice, it was definatly quicker but somehow (and this is were the problem is) it felt slower, and with this it didn't seem as fun, handling wise...well in my opinion its nothing compared to the mark 1's, the mark 2 just isn't as good (that may be down to tyres etc but i had times like that on the mark 1 and it was still ok).

there are certain parts to the mark 2 i like, the extra comfort, the 6 disc changer as standard, compared to stripped valver i spose its a bit luxurious and other things like it doesn't rattle as much and its in better nick mechanically i spose but somehow compared to the mark 1 i don't think its ever going to win my heart.........

god i miss my mark 1.........

discuss if you wish.

R26r R26
I cant make my mind up to go from a PH1 172 to a 182.Never drove a Mk1 so I cant comment on what it is like.I personally think the PH1 looks better than the PH2 but I would like a newer car.From peoples comments on here I cant help thinking I would regret selling the PH1.:S

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
i had a 172 loved it to bits fast handled well and put a smile on my face and could drive it like a normal car and be reasonable comfy in it.
then bought a williams alot more fun felt faster until higher speeds and enjoyed it as a car more.
now i have a hybrid properly raw car nothing in it as such feel everything in the road and hear every last bit of s**t hitting the inside of the wheel arch love it to bits and know ill miss it when i sell it but cant help but feel i want something alittle easyer to live with.

imo theres good and bad sides to both cars mk1 hybrid for fun 172 for general driving williams for fun and general

williams is king of all clios imo

funny you should say that... i thought EXACTLY the same when i saw that episode.

Although im a step ahead of you, i really miss the car you regret buying! I guess the Ph1 172 is to me what the valver is to you.

I cant make my mind up to go from a PH1 172 to a 182.Never drove a Mk1 so I cant comment on what it is like.I personally think the PH1 looks better than the PH2 but I would like a newer car.From peoples comments on here I cant help thinking I would regret selling the PH1.:S

Dont do it. The 182 is faster and better equipped, but its by far the lesser car.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
i had a 172 loved it to bits fast handled well and put a smile on my face and could drive it like a normal car and be reasonable comfy in it.
then bought a williams alot more fun felt faster until higher speeds and enjoyed it as a car more.
now i have a hybrid properly raw car nothing in it as such feel everything in the road and hear every last bit of s**t hitting the inside of the wheel arch love it to bits and know ill miss it when i sell it but cant help but feel i want something alittle easyer to live with.

imo theres good and bad sides to both cars mk1 hybrid for fun 172 for general driving williams for fun and general

williams is king of all clios imo

i am thinking about a hybrid, i am thinking WHEN i return to mark 1 ownership not if...i will have to own a hybrid or maybe something a bit special like a turbo or a highly tuned hybrid, i agree with all you say above, the stripped valver was not exactly a date car..lol

glad people are understanding what i mean, justin to be fair you lack experience on this subject....you have owned 2 poo cars lol

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Age numbs your enthusiasm of cars (as many things) and your Glasses develop a rose tinting ;)

I dont love my Clio like i loved my old cars

I know you have issues with the ph 1, but imo the ph 1 is so much better to drive than my ph 2 ever was.

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
mine was a ph2 and ive test drove a ph1 and in that short drive i could tell it was the better car more responsive better handleing. not quite a williams tho lol

1.8 8v RSi
i've only ever owned mk1s so im biased when i say i agree.....however i would love the extra power from a 1*2 and knowing i dont have to strip it and tune it to make it go fast. but at the same time it doesnt compare to owning a mk 1....

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
i know dan i know mate........

couldn't get to sleep last night thinking about things, one of which was what i would do with a mark 1 project lol.................yep deffo think i want another.

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
i've only ever owned mk1s so im biased when i say i agree.....however i would love the extra power from a 1*2 and knowing i dont have to strip it and tune it to make it go fast. but at the same time it doesnt compare to owning a mk 1....

mk1s arnt that much slower than mk2s if at all well the williams anyway mine felt alot faster to 60 but above 90 -100 it was slower.
you dont have to strip a williams and mod it to have a fast one.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Just mod it! IMO, you can make any car feel how you want it to feel (with stiffer suspension, noisier exhaust and more responsive over the rev range).

But I know that everytime I see a Williams or 16v, I really want one (I had a Monaco Blue RSi with Momo's that looked really nice before buying the 172 Ph1). Mk 1s like these are more distinctive looking RSs IMO than the other RS Clio's, apart from the Beast - the Vee!

I'd be happy with a Williams (and a diesel everyday commuter for work). It's always good to have an aim.

Rob669

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
i am thinking with coilovers and 2 new (better) tyres for the 172 it would be alright

thing is i am totally unsure whether i want to keep throughing money at it, its totally mint though, not a single mark on it, if i do mod it i would want buckets, coilovers, etc etc

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
i am thinking with coilovers and 2 new (better) tyres for the 172 it would be alright

thing is i am totally unsure whether i want to keep throughing money at it, its totally mint though, not a single mark on it, if i do mod it i would want buckets, coilovers, etc etc

Why not just get the standard mod package first and then see what you think - matched inlets, an ITG filter, some bigger air feeds, a SS exhaust and Grp N chip?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
A 172 will never be a mark 1. They just feel too female to drive for me. Neil you need a hybrid. Kinda wish you drove my old one. You would have loved it! i still miss it bad...

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

Why not just get the standard mod package first and then see what you think - matched inlets, an ITG filter, some bigger air feeds, a SS exhaust and Grp N chip?

i already have a pro-speed, not sure if it adds bhp though...its not really the power that bothers me, more the handling at the mo.

A 172 will never be a mark 1. They just feel too female to drive for me. Neil you need a hybrid. Kinda wish you drove my old one. You would have loved it! i still miss it bad...

totally, funny that,we talked about a meet years ago and yet still haven't met chap, did very much like your hybrid

Youve got space! tie, meh, just do it in the evenings when you want, money, just be patient and inventive, this 172 convserson has cost me so far £150.

thought you may say that, to be fair you had alot of the bits you needed for your project already there, at the moment i have other things i would like also, such as to move out so a project isn't really a possibility, and if i sold the 172 one of the reasons would be to free up money, not that i need to lol, wuld just be nice to spend elsewhere...

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I'm tempted to make a valver turbo dare i say it! Maybe even a F7R tubby. I want some sillyness back in my life.

Dan, when you've got yours up and running your taking me for a blast...;)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh right. Thought you were cracking a joke about Weston..lol

Well no doubt i'll notice you if your about in it. I'll show you how a real car goes and take you down in the atr. The clio'd have no chance...pmsl

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The ATR is alright for a family waggon. Although at 22 i dont know why i'd need one. Quicker than a 172 but i'd get seriously seriously owned by your mk1 me thinks. Love it..

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
lol............well you know you were talking about selling it........maybe..

i dunno if i was just be haisty, perhaps i should persist and coilover the 172, maybe that will do it