ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dave, Topgear, Mark 1 v Mark 2, regrets

BMW E46 330i Touring
Could you afford to maintain and fix the bits that invariably go wrong on a more frequent basis?

I genuinely think as time goes on you forget all the things you hated about an older car and remember it with rose-tinted specs on... I do it with my 106 XSi. But, I've only ever been in Valvers a handful of times and never driven one so can't compare the 2 cars.

Neil, don't forget your specific Valver was a pretty special example with a lot of time and money making it look different without being OTT. Any one you buy now won't have that same feeling to it to start with.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
know what you mean ads, when you say about replacing bits too ads that was something i never really had to do as nothing really broke...lol

no chance i can get her back now either lol

how come you then bought a mark 2 then jesus?

i agree, they do have something though.

Williams had already cost me £20k, box mount had just gone again in as many months and I couldn't be bothered with the hassle anymore as it was my daily ride. So it was time for something newer, which was going to be an M3 as I love bodies... however a Clio came up for sale and I just couldn't help myself, so went for that as it was miles cheaper and I could do other things with the money I saved... like get a massive TV, go to Amsterdam, mod the current car, get a house etc etc. I love my 172, but it's not the same attachment I had to the Williams, which I hated because it was unreliable, but had soul and character. The 172 has both those, just not in the same league. If it didn't have bodies I'd honestly not have looked twice or even entertained the thought of it.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I agree 20k LOL wtf.

Gold plated engine?

Nope. Considering i spent about 1600 in 5mins of owning one i can easily see how he spent 20k!

They are buckets! - Sod your soul shout thats b****cks! Soul shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Drove 2 182's on the H&R one was actually worse than my 172! Other one was ok. Nout to write home about!

eibac's are spot on imo.

Hmm

I've had 2 cars on 2 sets of H&R Coilovers and I have to agree with Rich.
Who set your coilovers up, David Blunkett ;)
On 17 inch rims bose suspension would feel crap tbh...

Neil: Swings and roundabouts...

Nah David blunkett works for mark fish doesn't he? ;)

Williams had already cost me £20k

:eek:

How did you manage that?

pretty easily, 1st MOT on it cost me over £6k.

Just speak to clean16v, he bought the car off me once it was back and running and hadn't even got through all my recipts and was over £13k and counting... so it prolly cost me more tbh.

I agree 20k LOL wtf.

Gold plated engine?

if only...

I agree 20k LOL wtf.

Gold plated engine?

Nope. Considering i spent about 1600 in 5mins of owning one i can easily see how he spent 20k!

They are buckets! - Sod your soul shout thats b****cks! Soul shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg!

Like you say, get carried away and it's easily done. I liked mine as it was one of the quickest ones mod for mod and you get a sense of occasion driving it that you dont get with ANY other Clio... yes including Vee's (and yes, I've driven both models before you ask... they didn't set my world alight)

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Mark 1s, ahh i like mine again today. Im really sad that i would want to see it for a 172 or a 182. I actually would be sad when it goes, its taught me so much about how to fix a car and how to spend lots of time on it.

I really would be so sad when it goes, had some much crap it, and it is the worst senarios with me for fixing it, but hey ClioSport has helped me, plus i want a nice shiney Sport because of it.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
:eek:

How did you manage that?

pretty easily, 1st MOT on it cost me over £6k.

Just speak to clean16v, he bought the car off me once it was back and running and hadn't even got through all my recipts and was over £13k and counting... so it prolly cost me more tbh.

I agree 20k LOL wtf.

Gold plated engine?

if only...

I agree 20k LOL wtf.

Gold plated engine?

Like you say, get carried away and it's easily done. I liked mine as it was one of the quickest ones mod for mod and you get a sense of occasion driving it that you dont get with ANY other Clio... yes including Vee's (and yes, I've driven both models before you ask... they didn't set my world alight)

But your like, englerlandish/american/ghey??? No taste at all!

I have taste, I didn't spend £20k on a Vee, so not only taste but brains too ;)

it could be worse... I could be scottish and ghey... or just scottish... but I'm not attracted to any of my relatives, so I dont think there is any scot on either side of the family :rasp:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

it could be worse... I could be scottish and ghey... or just scottish... but I'm not attracted to any of my relatives, so I dont think there is any scot on either side of the family :rasp:

Lucky i didn't spend 20k on a vee then! ;) Brains - come on chap 20k on a willy, i gave up after 1600£ Thats brains! Cut my losses and went back to beefin my distant cousin! Good genes's...gooood gene's!

Lucky i didn't spend 20k on a vee then! ;) Brains - come on chap 20k on a willy, i gave up after 1600£ Thats brains! Cut my losses and went back to beefin my distant cousin! Good genes's...gooood gene's!

well, whatever Vee's go for these days, I thought they held their value better tbh. it was over a 4 year period I had that car, cost a s**t load, but worth it and I'd do it again. Looks better than a Vee (imo), certainly cornered better (track proven) and went quicker... with cams and remap ;) shhh

Williams is the best Clio there ever was and will be, best hot hatch there ever was and will be. Combined old school and modern technology for a perfect balance of rawness and finesse

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

well, whatever Vee's go for these days, I thought they held their value better tbh. it was over a 4 year period I had that car, cost a s**t load, but worth it and I'd do it again. Looks better than a Vee (imo), certainly cornered better (track proven) and went quicker... with cams and remap ;) shhh

Williams is the best Clio there ever was and will be, best hot hatch there ever was and will be. Combined old school and modern technology for a perfect balance of rawness and finesse

I'm going to gang rape you. The scottish inbred haggis munchers are going to hang you out to dry!

Willy looks cool - I'll give you that! Never drove a cam'd one, but i don't think they were fast! Went in 2lives and it wasn't that quick, my 172 was hittin a higher top end down the straight. Give jon his due, he's 4ft tall and doesn't have much strength so i may go a little faster.

Technology in a willy....What technology! 2 armchairs and an 8track! YASSS

Vee - Bliss! I'll take you for a spin on track! You'll be lappin at my feet for hrs after! xx

I'm going to gang rape you. The scottish inbred haggis munchers are going to hang you out to dry!

Willy looks cool - I'll give you that! Never drove a cam'd one, but i don't think they were fast! Went in 2lives and it wasn't that quick, my 172 was hittin a higher top end down the straight. Give jon his due, he's 4ft tall and doesn't have much strength so i may go a little faster.

Vee - Bliss! I'll take you for a spin on track! You'll be lappin at my feet for hrs after! xx

Hehe, I'd pay money to see your cute little self try and over power me :lolup:

There's NO way your 172 was quicker than 2 lives Williams, not a chance in hell. Unless you got side by side and it actually happened I just cant believe it. I think the lack of torque at low revs and pants peaky delivery on the 172 has warped your sense of reality youth! lol

Yeah, technology b**ch, it's got electric windows and mirrors, what else do you need? ;)

You can deffo take me out in the Vee, they look cool... I'll just not look at the dash or I'll forget I'm in a V6 and not a 172 ;) You can go out in mine after and retro it up in the lovely 2 tone grey/blue interior... dont know if the speed or the interior will make you sick first though

Hmmm....I can think of a few other ways to spend £20k on a car with a sense of occasion!

At least you enjoyed it.

that's the thing, it was foolish, but I dont regret it one bit. some great times and great memories from the Williams. I got bored of my first two cars very quickly, the Williams I kept longer than anything and I still miss it. Probably the best car I'll ever own, hopefully not though! Next time I spend £20k on a car (probably this one) it will be on mods and not repairing the fucker lol... but I'll most likely just by something amazingly quick that I can leave alone (unlikely again though lol)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

There's NO way your 172 was quicker than 2 lives Williams, not a chance in hell. Unless you got side by side and it actually happened I just cant believe it. I think the lack of torque at low revs and pants peaky delivery on the 172 has warped your sense of reality youth! lol

Yeah, technology b**ch, it's got electric windows and mirrors, what else do you need? ;)

You can deffo take me out in the Vee, they look cool... I'll just not look at the dash or I'll forget I'm in a V6 and not a 172 ;) You can go out in mine after and retro it up in the lovely 2 tone grey/blue interior... dont know if the speed or the interior will make you sick first though

God's honest truth, down the back straight at Brunters i was doing over 130, he wasn't above 120! Not sure what spec it was bak then...certainly not the current spec!

My old 172 was silly quick! Vee only caught above 90!!! And i can cane any other RS.

Nah, your car smells beefy. ;)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i miss my 1.2 dynamique but its just because it was modded the way i wanted it, now that im starting to get the 172 the way i want it im enjoying it and starting to forget how awesome coilovers are!

God's honest truth, down the back straight at Brunters i was doing over 130, he wasn't above 120! Not sure what spec it was bak then...certainly not the current spec!

My old 172 was silly quick! Vee only caught above 90!!! And i can cane any other RS.

Hang on, which Clio are we talking about, as 159 would spank a 200bhp Mk2 let alone one running less power than that. It made 160ATW at Re Performance who are a decent and accurate RR. This was more than nearly every Mk2 on the day and it also ran 14.0's at near 100mph, so either you carried a lot more speed through the corner than he did, or it was Area 51... which is quick yeah, but nothing compared to 159 as I've been out and driven both LOTS and there is a big difference. 159 imo is just as quick as 51 now, even though 51 is stripped.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Hang on, which Clio are we talking about, as 159 would spank a 200bhp Mk2 let alone one running less power than that. It made 160ATW at Re Performance who are a decent and accurate RR. This was more than nearly every Mk2 on the day and it also ran 14.0's at near 100mph, so either you carried a lot more speed through the corner than he did, or it was Area 51... which is quick yeah, but nothing compared to 159 as I've been out and driven both LOTS and there is a big difference. 159 imo is just as quick as 51 now, even though 51 is stripped.

Erm, it was runnin megane bits in it. i don't think it was as quick as it is now! I'm dyin to do a wee trackday against a decent driven car willy/trophy etc! Next yr for sure

SHould get my new suspension bak next wk! :) Cant wait! Should transform the car!

All his cars run Megane engines, even 159 as the original engine is tucked up safe and sound somewhere lol.

The 14.0 spec was the quickest I have been in and driven though. Top end it would pull past 150mph fairly easily.

What suspension you getting?

Hmm

I've had 2 cars on 2 sets of H&R Coilovers and I have to agree with Rich.
Who set your coilovers up, David Blunkett ;)
On 17 inch rims bose suspension would feel crap tbh...

Neil: Swings and roundabouts...

Nah David blunkett works for mark fish doesn't he? ;)

Wouldn't know, I've never used him ;)

I'm here all week...

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
All his cars run Megane engines, even 159 as the original engine is tucked up safe and sound somewhere lol.

The 14.0 spec was the quickest I have been in and driven though. Top end it would pull past 150mph fairly easily.

What suspension you getting?

It's as secret as Area 51.5! ;) Nah, just adjusted Koni's and stiffer poundage springs. Refured to pay reno 400 for 2 v6 springs