ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

de cat... how effective?

Rs monaco 172 mk2
how effective is doin this.
wat kind of power increase r we lookin at...
wats the pro's and con's of doin this...
and finally is it actually worth doin..

cheers

less restrictive gases , more power , more noise , can cause higher emissions causing problems at M.O.T time .

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Doesnt really gain you much power from my experience, just noise, also moves where your peek power is made.

Lionel Richie
it DOES allow the engine to go up through the revs easier, definite power increase, but you'll only probably notice noise increase

Renault Sport Clio 172
I have a feeling that Decats will fail an MOT.... so you will have to change back to the normal cat exhaust when it comes to MOT time...

I have a feeling that Decats will fail an MOT.... so you will have to change back to the normal cat exhaust when it comes to MOT time...

Nigels clio 172 with decat passed , lucky bugger :quiet: , my sports cat was border line , just below the limit :D

Renault Sport Clio 172

Nigels clio 172 with decat passed , lucky bugger :quiet: , my sports cat was border line , just below the limit :D

aww never... Yes i think one of my mates cars also passed with a Decat:quiet: but i aint really heared of that many pasing....:)

SchwepTek™
Are decats standard size for each model? So i could buy a decat for a 182 and it would fit standard exhaust and an aftermarket one?

SchwepTek™
Cool, so wheres the best place to get one from? (sorry to hijack) I know Yoz do them but anywhere else?

KTec do 2 different 182 decats?!?!?

SchwepTek™
OK seems that £100 is average price.

Although Ktec do a milltek only decat for £50. Why is it different?

Clio 1.8 8v RSi
Seen them on ebay before, just like this one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/renault-clio-...ryZ10410QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Only £30 but it is ebay!

Not for RS clios though! :(

Im sure ive seen them before though. Couldnt you just get one made for cheaper than that £100 said before? K-TecRacing do a nice one for £52 inlc.vat, cant beat that id say, gonna order me one tomorrow http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=188

ValverInBits
have you heard about some emissions tests on old cars?

Mates dad has a jensen crysler v8. The emissions test for that come MOT time is to "check for black smoke from the exhasts"

As long as it's not throwing out soot, it's all good. :)
LOL

ValverInBits
what about the laws with regards to decats?

If you get pulled and a copper discovers (even tho they wouldnt) that you have a decat, do you get bummed?

worry it get pulled by a vosa vehicle ;)

i know summert that invalidate your insurance as they are mot failures due to high emissions , but you can state on certain insurance co. that you have one ?

what about the laws with regards to decats?

If you get pulled and a copper discovers (even tho they wouldnt) that you have a decat, do you get bummed?

Nope. Its not illegal to have a de-cat, its illegal to fail an emmissions test.

Ph1
worry it get pulled by a vosa vehicle ;)

i know summert that invalidate your insurance as they are mot failures due to high emissions , but you can state on certain insurance co. that you have one ?

Failing a MOT on emissions is the same as failing it on a light bulb. You'll just have to get the problem sorted before getting a valid MOT certificate. At that stage, its nothing to do with insurance

You could invalidate your insurance if you put a claim in if you have a decat however

Focus RS Mk1
If you all knew the regulations for an MOT then you'd be better informed!

For a car to pass MOT it must have a CAT fitted. Irrelivant if it would pass on emmision or not. If it hasnt got one, its a fail!

This is not the case for cars older than a certain year (cant think what year that is now) but all those cars that passed with decats either got very lucky with a dumb ass tester or was tested by a dodgy MOT firm!

This is FACT 100%.