ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

De-cat? Sports Cat? Where?

Clio Sport Cup 172
Hi, just after some advice really, my car is standard and i'm thinking of getting either one of the above. can anyone recommend what I get and possibly where from?

thanks in advance,
Tommy B.

Mondeo diesel barge
I had a de-cat on my 182 (With the standard exhaust). I didn't mind the noise, was quite nice at times. Ultimately I went back to a standard cat. Don't know what it'll be like on a 172, especially as that one has a silencer, so maybe not too different from a cat. You'll need to remember that it won't pass an MOT with a de-cat pipe, but if you search the forum there'll be a few threads on the subject. Also take the power gains with a pinch of salt, people have different views and results from fitting a de-cat pipe. That one you linked looks good, but I'm sure someone with a de-catted 172 will come along and give you a better answer.

Golf GTD Mk7
don't bother with sports cats tbh, you'll pay a fortune for no benefit really. It will most likely fail emmisions on them anyway. Decat wise, ktec, miltek, yozza (although i'm not sure if they still do), and scorpion. You'd be better off getting your cat modded, but it depends on what you're after in way of results. Best advice is try not to spend too much because the gains are minimal.

Golf GTD Mk7
I've never fitted a 172 one, but I believe they're a bit of a pain, so if you need MOT doing on it, then you'll be changing it back to the cat unless you know a dodgy tester ;). Modding the CAT exit would be better, but if you're running standard setup it's not going to make much difference. If I were you, i'd save up a bit more, get rid of the standard zorst, and get everything sorted at the same time. I'm suprised, you still have standard one on, thought it would have dropped off by now.lol

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
If you want a sports cat buy a second hand ph1 cat with two lambda holes its essentially a sports cat anyway much less restrictive than the 172 ph2 models or at least thats what i've read on here, or for a decat NWP were the cheapest when i was looking at getting one

Clio Sport Cup 172
I've never fitted a 172 one, but I believe they're a bit of a pain, so if you need MOT doing on it, then you'll be changing it back to the cat unless you know a dodgy tester ;). Modding the CAT exit would be better, but if you're running standard setup it's not going to make much difference. If I were you, i'd save up a bit more, get rid of the standard zorst, and get everything sorted at the same time. I'm suprised, you still have standard one on, thought it would have dropped off by now.lol

only owned the car around 6 months and the middle pipe went on me once already....... well I'll prob buy the de-cat this month, then the middle pipe/backbox. can you get them separately or is it cheaper to save up like you say?

which brand/exhaust do you recommend my mate lol

cheers :)

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
only owned the car around 6 months and the middle pipe went on me once already....... well I'll prob buy the de-cat this month, then the middle pipe/backbox. can you get them separately or is it cheaper to save up like you say?

which brand/exhaust do you recommend my mate lol

cheers :)

The Yozza systems on here tend to be the ones people opt for however there rare second hand and go at a hefty price second hand too.
You after a stealth exhuast or a showy one? As you can often pick up a few second hand exhuasts for sale on here around 100-150ish, I think i saw a 2.25" S/S one on ebay auction from k-tec a day or so ago too

Clio Sport Cup 172
second hand would be fine...as for stealth/showy I think I would like a little "showy" but not a f*** off bore sticking out lol... where's best then, ebay?

Clio Sport Cup 172
I'm at work at the mo mate, can't get on ebay lol..will have a look later.......

whats missing? :/

Megane RS 250
I have 182 manifold+sports kat+k-tec mild steel and it's too loud.
We're developing a new 63.5 mm stainless steel catback with a stealth exit, it'll be quieter than any of the k-tec systems and it should perform well, I'm going to have the car on the dyno both with the k-tec and the new system and see what happens. Then I'll have a custom remap the same day and another dyno...

182 Turbo Project
If it's standard, I wouldn't bother with a decat just yet. Why not spend the monies on springs? Make the car look better, then get a decat if you upgrade the zorst.

All imo.

172 cup
Might be placebo, but I run a ktec sports cat with standard exhaust (did have the SS stealth but it was too 'boomy' at 60+) and it makes a difference. Both in sound and performance.

Ktec have just released a super quiet 2.25 SS stealth, which is another option if you don't want intrusive noise.

Clio Sport Cup 172
If it's standard, I wouldn't bother with a decat just yet. Why not spend the monies on springs? Make the car look better, then get a decat if you upgrade the zorst.

All imo.

Good shout mate, was gonna get some eibach springs and get my wheels refurbed too :p

read a bit on ehre regarding springs and Eibach seem to be the favourite?

Clio Sport Cup 172
Might be placebo, but I run a ktec sports cat with standard exhaust (did have the SS stealth but it was too 'boomy' at 60+) and it makes a difference. Both in sound and performance.

Ktec have just released a super quiet 2.25 SS stealth, which is another option if you don't want intrusive noise.

do you still have the s/s stealth??......