ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decat info!

Mr2 Roadster

Well I took the Decat off and put the Cat on (thanks to Mike for lending it to me). Blimey, it was so slow! Quieter but defo slower...

Took the car down to Renault to get a new Dizzy kit adn off to my MOT...

The guys there said the car would not pass without a Cat on, FACT!

I passed the bloody thing but only after they made me take my orange side lights out...

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

The car will pass its MOT without a CAT if its emissons are low enough, doesnt matter how old the car is or whether it came with a CAT or not, just has to pass the emissions test.

Mr2 Roadster

Clown@Work... (NickyB) says:

Bam, I was told that you will not pass as the emmisions will be soooo high without it!

cheers mum says:

they may well be high, but if the engine is looked after properly it should be able to pass

As far as I was told all cars after a certain year that have to have cats are measured on a different scal to normal/ older cars

cheers mum says:

sort of, the emissions levels are more stringent on newer cars, should be any year after 1993

cheers mum says:

emissions levels change depending upon year of production

That would be right then!

cheers mum says:

yup, but there is no rule/guideline that says a car wlil fail the mot emissions test if it does not have a cat fitted, which is why there is no visual check for one

Yep solely on the emissions factor but without the emisions will be very high!

cheers mum says:

again, all down to how the engine has been treated/looked after

cheers mum says:

and also, the temp of the engine will effect the emissions

Yep, I gave it a good run... They check it at various revs now, for set periods of time, which they didnt do on my "C" reg car!

cheers mum says:

yup, got to hate the government for that one

cheers mum says:

but as i say, there is no check for the cat so they cannot fail you for not having one fitted, the test however will more than likely prove that the vehicle requires a cat fitted to reduce emission levels to a safe limit

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

theres the possibility that a looked after clean running engine might scrape through but its very doubtful.

Mr2 Roadster

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 10 January 2004

theres the possibility that a looked after clean running engine might scrape through but its very doubtful.
Thats what I was trying to say... But I just said theres f**k all hope! :oops:

or you could just put the Cat on for 30mins while they test the car!! and not have to worry about all this.

Mr2 Roadster

Quote: Originally posted by nickyb121 on 10 January 2004

Well I took the Decat off and put the Cat on (thanks to Mike for lending it to me). Blimey, it was so slow! Quieter but defo slower...

Took the car down to Renault to get a new Dizzy kit adn off to my MOT...

The guys there said the car would not pass without a Cat on, FACT!

I passed the bloody thing but only after they made me take my orange side lights out...
;)

Elise/VX220/R26

A car will not pass an mot if it doesnt have a cat on (even if the emmisions are low - which they would never be low enough without a cat on) all cars made after 1992 have to have a cat on. I want to find a dodgy garage that tests without faffing about with them!

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 10 January 2004
A car will not pass an mot if it doesnt have a cat on (even if the emmisions are low - which they would never be low enough without a cat on) all cars made after 1992 have to have a cat on. I want to find a dodgy garage that tests without faffing about with them!

THERE IS NO VISUAL TEST TO CHECK IF A CATALYTIC CONVERTOR IS FITTED, THIS IS A MISCONCEPTION OF THE LAW !!!!!!!

Heard that teh police could do a raodside emissions check, and if ur cara fails them its a fine. Any truth in this?

As for MOT time it seems to be easier just to bolt the cat back on for the day when they have the car, and then remove it again for general driving