ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DECAT- MOT

Ive got my MOT comming up and i was wondering will my car definitely fail its emitions if ive got a decat pipe on??

Asking the same thing mate but from what Ive learnt, if your car is post 92 you will fail, if you have an ECOTEK !!! you may have a small chance !?!? Not too sure about this but its what Ive picked up !?

Or you can simply tell the garage doing the MOT to put on the old cat/replace the bypass pipe before and after the MOT. It is likely to fail without a cat but some engines are naturally cleaner than others so you might get away with it?

why do people still believe that the car needs a cat to pass the emissions test??

FACT: a car will pass the MOT emissions test only if the emissions level is within the legal limits, the vehicle does not require a catalytic converter to pass the MOT

*** i know this as my MOT on the saxo was done by Citroen, they commented on the high emissions and suggested refitting the cat instead of having the decat pipe on, but it still passed (only just)

I know that but the valver isnt a saxo!

You dont need a cat if your car is over 2 tons either, so hide rik waller in the boot and you might get away with it.

they cannot state one rule for one car and another rule for another, at the end of the day they are still the same category vehicle and should be tested to the same regulations (cat or not cat)

What im saying is that the valver wouldnt pass without a cat because the older engine design (before cats were mandatory) means it wont pass emission standards without them.

Just because an engine is now designed to work with a cat doesnt mean it will be a cleaner engine - its going to rely on the fact a cat is guaranteed to be there!

Speaking of which both my exhaust and car are finished, and have ordered a K-tec one with decat, hopefully here soon. Got the decat cause it was cheaper than getting a new cat. However my valver is a 94 and so will probably need a cat for next MOT which I think is out in august.

Mate pranged his dads megane (if it was a 2.0 i would be robbing the engine for my own clio, but unfortunetly its a 1.4 RT) and I was wondering if I went to take cat off that, is it the same as a valvers one and would my problem be solved. I am sure I heard that most of the renault ones are the same anyway. Anybody?

BMW 320d Sport

It doesnt matter how you go about achieving the emissions result, as long as you do. Or can get a bent ticket. If you need a cat then put it back on. Valvers have been known to pass an emissions test with an ecotek on and no cat. Even without an ecotek or any other kind of fiddling about, a clean, well looked after engine should be there or thereabouts anyway, the cat just makes sure it is well into the legal emissions band. Obviously newer engines are likely to naturally make less emissions which is why you cant really compare a saxo to an old valver, although they are both subject to the same regulations.